Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 
Tobythefish

Unhappy Parasites!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon( doesn't hold quite 1 gallon with decor)
What temperature is your tank? 78-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin tropical flakes and freeze dried bloodworms 2x a week (planning on upgrading to NLS Betta Formula soon) fast once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? pinch of flakes 2x daily. 4-5 blood worms split up between two meals 2x week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon ammonia neutralizer(which also neutralizes chlorine and chloramines) and API PH Down. Fluoride and chlorine are added to the water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: Somewhere above 7.6(scale ends there with API drops test kit. Currently trying to bring it down to 7.0 very gradually because I think it was above 8.0)
Hardness: 20-30 grains of hardness
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None. His poop is light brown with a white string like thing at the end.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More sluggish than usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Poop today. Behavior for past few weeks
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I think so
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know. Got him in June from friends who had had him for about 3/4 year(they won him at the fair)

He was severly abused when we got him. He was almost dead and I can't believe he made it. He's probably had the parasites since we got him, but we didn't notice it until today. We have a QT tank we can put him in which holds a bit more than a gallon so we can medicate him properly. We'll move him in there if you think we should. He's always been not as active as our other fish because of how he was abused, but he's been a lot more lethargic, just laying around a lot of the time. I don't know if he will be alright because of his weakened immune system, but please help. We don't want him to die.

We have AQ salt, Epsom salt, and Maracyn 1 and 2. We can buy API General Cure nearby if you think we should.

Last edited by Tobythefish; 02-09-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #2 
Myates

Poor guy.. he had it rough it sounds like, it's great that you are able to care for him now in his senior days.

Keep an eye on his waste, and his body- normally when they have internal parasites the waste will be long stringy and white/clear. A bit of white could be something different such as a slight bacterial infection.. the body will start to become thin regardless of how much he is eating.

I don't recommend him going through treatment right now unless you see more white-clear waste coming out like a string.. if you do then you would do a treatment of 1 tsp per gallon of Epsom salt combined with the General Cure. But I would make sure- you can also look real closely at the white stringy part (especially with a magnifying glass) and you can see the little worms moving around.

Honestly, messing with the pH, especially in a small tank where you do frequent water changes, can be harmful to the betta- bettas can tolerate a wide range of pH, and will adjust to whatever they are in. The problem is when you use the uppers and downers, which fluctuates it and doesn't keep it stable- the fluctuation is what is deadly. Normally it's just better to allow the betta to adjust to the pH that is natural to your water.

Are you adding in fluoride and chlorine into the tank?

If your friend has had him for 3-4 years then he is close to the end of his life span.. which means that big changes may not be tolerated as much. Twice weekly water changes of a 100% is almost too much, as water can be too clean.. more ideally is 1 50% (water only) and 1 100% per week.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 
Tobythefish

We'll slowly reduce the addition of the PH Down until there isn't anything in it like you said.

Sorry about how I worded some things. The fluoride and chlorine are added to the water supply by the water company. I wouldn't do that to our fish.

Also, the friends had him for about three-quarters of a year, not 3-4 years. Sorry about that too.

The poop is very normal loking except for a short stubby white sring thing. It doesn't move either, so you are probably right about the slight bacterial infection.

His body is a bit thinner than our other betta's body, but it has always been like that and I think that was another effect of his abuse.

In the original post, I forgot to mention that he has trouble keeping his back end up. Alpha was like that, except he had more treouble and lost his apetite and hardly ever moved, and he died within a month of the behaviour beginning

I'll follow your advice about the PH and keep on watching him. Hopefully he'll be better soon. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 
Myates

Ah I see now!

Most places have that placed into the tap water- there is a link in my sig with some water conditioners, those tend to cover all of that- ammonia, chlorine, metals, etc.. unless the ammonia neutralizer rids of the chlorine and metals, I would suggest finding something that will cover all the basis.

3/4 of a year will put him roughly at a year old if they got him from a pet store.. so not too old so treatment won't be too rough on him (medications are always rough on fish, but the older they are the rougher it is)...

Is it when he stops swimming his tail end slowly lowers? Or is he pretty straight up and down, more then would be considered normal?

If his health deteriorates any, let us know and post a picture.. we can start a treatment plan for bacterial infection then.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
Tobythefish

Thank you so much. When he stops swimming, his tail slowly gets lower, when he is swimming he's fine. If he gets worse I'll post. Thanks again.