Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 
Mikkisaur

Horrible experience :C

Oh silly fish... Today I checked on the boys and found Comet in obvious distress. He was.. stuck to his plant, the spiky one (like \\|// type of plastic thing). On close inspection, I started panicking despite my better judgement. He had swallowed or impaled himself on a spike! QnQ Through his mouth, out the gill. I don't know how long he had been like that, but immediately I gently supported him and the plant to the surface. I very gently and slowly slid him off, and he went to the bottom to rest, because he was obviously stressed to the MAX. Heavy breathing, paled up. He's swimming about now, but he's still weak. I had to save him from the filter suction, which I never do. He's resting near the surface right now.

Long story short, is there anyway to help him recover? There's even more to the story, but both of us have been shaken by this.
Mikkisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 
registereduser

wow, hope he'll be OK! Glad I have real/silk plants.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 
jeanclaudeasher

I would float him in a cup for a few days so he doesn't have to struggle to get to the surface. By floating the cup in the bigger tank you can keep the water at the right temperature. Also I would remove the plant completely from the tank.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 
Mikkisaur

The plant was out right away. I'm tossing it. I'm applying for jobs, so in about a month I'll be able to change to silk. I was about to float him, but I squished the cup and it split D: so I'll find a container.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
Myates

Poor guy.. I don't like spiky plastic plants >.< Freak accident, but wow, haven't heard that one.

Go ahead and while floating him, do 1 tsp per gallon (use a water gallon jug, or a milk one cleaned out with water very well) to mix the salt up, add water conditioner.. and use that to do daily 100% water changes while floating over the next 3 days or so..
The salt will help keep any wound he may have caused in his gills from becoming infected, and will help keep the mucus in his gills healthy.
He shouldn't need more then a few days in the treatment..

(If you don't have a clean, soap residue free tupperware container that can float, you can use a larger one.. or a QT tank. If the tank he is in isn't filtered, you can use that- just don't fill the water up all the way in it to make changing it 100% daily easier)

Hope he heals up quickly..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 
Mikkisaur

I know, it completely caught me off guard. I found another cup, so I'm going to grab the electrical tape and get him set up. I have a jug handy, so AQ salt it is. His mouth is a little red, but I haven't been able to get a good look at him. I'll watch over the next few days. He's in a 10g divided atm, and what had happened after is that in all the commotion the divider got pushed, and Nebula wiggled through o.o He was out asap, and everything's fixed now, but both of them are pouty.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 
Myates

Sounds like an exciting evening.. at least they are alive and Comet should heal up fine.. fish can be surprisingly resilient, and luckily for him being a betta, even if the gill was damaged, he doesn't use it solely to breathe.. it should still function as intended though, just for now it's going to be a little irritated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
Mikkisaur

Yeah, it's been an interesting day. He's floating now, I'm starting him on AQ salt for tomorrow's water change. He looks fine; he's quite chipper about the whole thing. I'm sure he'll come back great. Comet's just lucky he didn't poke him eye out or something... Never again. He lived with the damned plant for months, silly thing. I'll update on this thread if anything else comes up. Thanks for the help and support ^__^