Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 
harrison6211

Exclamation Sick betta fish, but not a disease!

Help me please!
My crowntail betta fish, Fred, recently started to not act like himself, and it has gotten worse as the days progress.

On Monday, Fred had parts of his tail torn off. The parts didn't look like tail rot, because there is no brown on the base, and I has not progressively gotten worse since then, his tail has remained the same since then. I thought it was a filter issue, so I wrapped gauze around the part of the filter where it sucks, and secured it with a rubber ban, so water can get in and out, but his tail can't.

On Tuesday, he began to hide, but in places of plain sight, towards the back. Fred never hides, ever, so this made me suspicious. He still ate and swam normally.

On Wednesday, he was still hiding and eating. I did a 50% water change, I changed the filter cartridge, and tested the water. Ammonia was at 0, as well as the chlorine, nitrate, etc. All normal levels.

On Thursday, began hiding in spaces that are hard to see. He stayed in one area for up to 4 hours at a time. Still, he ate fine, and there are no dots, marks, or any sign of disease on him.

Today, Friday, he has been hiding in the same area that is very hard to see for 5 hours, and hasn't come out. Still, there are no marks, and he looks fine. The ghost shrimp in the tanks, that has been in there for 4 months now, is still fine as well, and is acting normally.

Could anyone please help me! Nothing on the internet is helping me, and I am becoming desperate!
harrison6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 
jeanclaudeasher

How long have you had Fred? Were there any changes made around his tank recently that might stress him out?
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
harrison6211

I have had Fred since April 2011.
I have taken out the divider between him and the ghost shrimp, but that was on Wednesday, and he was already starting to hide by then.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 
jeanclaudeasher

From what your describing I can't think of anything wrong with similar symptoms. The hiding without any other symptoms makes me think that something might be scaring him or stressing him out but I wouldnt think that the divider being removed would cause that. I would try personal messaging Oldfishlady or Sakura8 and see if they have any ideas for you =) I hope they can help. When you message them answer as many of these questions as you can, it will give them more information to help you out:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
harrison6211

Ok, thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #6 
flowerslegacy

Hi Harrison6211 - Sorry your guy is hiding. Sometimes you can have rot and the blackened edges are not especially noticable. If he has hunks missing and he's hiding, he's not feeling well which sounds like an indicator for a bacterial infection. I had my guy in a divided tank and he got rot as well, with the same behaviors as your guy is showing. If you have shrimp in the tank, they can't handle salt or meds so he'll need his own space 'in case' you need to administer anything. Be prepared to possibly move him to his own heated QT or possibly float him in a cup in the tank to keep him warm. Can you post a pic? Jeanclaudeasher posted the questions above. If you could you answer those questions along a pic we can better direct you.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, hiding, sick