Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #11 
flowerslegacy

Hi Zorra - So sorry to see your little guy is ill. He has fin rot and he needs to be treated right away. It's a good thing you started him on AQ salt. At least he's had something to assist him with stopping the infection. However, in your case, stop the salt treatment and now move to meds. Also, please stop using the Bettafix. As Earthworm stated, it contains ingredients that are actually harmful to the betta's labrynth organ. You'll want to start him on tetracycline and use the API Stress Coat to assist him with stress and fin regrowth. Usually the med directions are geared toward a 10gallon set up. Since you have him in a smaller QT, you can mix up the meds in a gallon jug and use that water for your water changes. You'll need to do 100% water changes daily, while administering the medication as directed. Earthworm already directed you on the frequency of water changes. I'll just add that even with a filter, a 3 gal tank is not able to sustain a healthy "cycle". The surface area is too small and the cycle will crash frequently. With any tank under 5 gals, you just need to do frequent water changes. The worms are also a great necessity. It's good to feed them a high protein diet while they're recuperating. It will boost their immune system and allow them to fight the infection.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #12 
Myates

Welcome..

I am inclined to agree with Flowers that he has fin rot- you have said he has blackened edges, along with it being crusty.. and the pictures show too even of areas for it to be complete fin biting (the rot may of came on because he is fin biting- damaged fins in water that isn't properly changed can cause the bacteria to attack and start eating away at his fins, until it reaches the body and then it becomes deadly).

Stop with the Bettafix, the ingredient is watered down, but there have still been cases of it harming the labyrinth organs when exposed improperly.

For treatment, start up on 2 teaspoons of AQ salt per gallon, dissolve it before putting your guy in it, along with Prime water conditioner.. each day do a 100% water change with new salted water.. continue for no more then 10 days.
If by the 8th day it is still deteriorating then you can up it to 3 tsp/gal and continue treatment no longer then 14 days maximum. (Noticed you said you had it, but hadn't started the salt.. lets try that first, and if that doesn't help let us know and we can start up on proper medication as Flowers mentioned.)

The only thing different I will add, is that since you have a filter going.. your tank will have a different type of cycle, and the beneficial bacteria will grow in the filter/substrate such as a larger tank. The 100%s aren't ideal in any filtered tanks, regardless of size.. 1 50% water only and 1 50% with substrate vacuum/stir and dip method per week.

Keep up on the weekly water changes, and when feeding flakes be careful that they don't fall to the bottom as that can cause fungus and chemistry spikes to happen between changes. Feed just enough, or use a turkey baster to remove any that have fallen.. it will help keep his tank cleaner to avoid rot forming in the future.

In the future if you get too busy to do a water change and skip a week, don't do a large change to make up for it, as it can cause osmotic shock and can easily be deadly.. instead do a couple small ones of approx 25% for a couple days so the change is a little more gradual and the tank won't crash the cycle it is holding.

Good luck!

(You have been given some great advice, I don't mean to sound to disregard any of them.. just throwing out my advice.)

Last edited by Myates; 02-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #13 
flowerslegacy

Zorra - Follow Myates advice! She's the expert here. If the salt treatment doesn't start showing signs of improvement, post again and let her advise you if you need to move to the Tetracycline. You have all the information you need to give him the best chance. If you see the rot progress to the body, post immediately. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #14 
earthworm88

Not sure if we are reading the same post by Zorra....

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88
For fin rot, the most conservative and easiest treatment is aquarium salt treatment. Dissolve 1 tsp of AQ salt in 1 gal of preconditioned water, add API stress coat or SeaCheam Stress Guard if you have, or Indian Almond Leaves (IAL) if you have, then leave your betta in there for 24 hours. Everyday, the treatment solution must be remade with the above and repeat for the next 10 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorra
I'll keep him quarientied in the small tank during his AS treatment for the next 10 days as sugested, he's improving in color already. Thanks!!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #15 
flowerslegacy

Hi earthworm - yeah, it's a repitition. The reason is because I jumped in and suggested moving straight to tetracycline and skipping the salt. (I'm gun-shy because I recently lost my favorite CT to a ruthless case of rot and Zorro's rot looks identical to what I just fought. So I jumped straight to meds.) I personally PM'd Myates and asked her to step in to our thread since we have a history of working on fin rot together. She's verified all you had already suggested - hence the repitition. My apologies. Salt it is.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #16 
Myates

I missed the "tad bit of salt" part.. sorry.. sometimes I work this section when I'm tired and at the end of a long day lol.

I didn't give credit where it was due though- earth you have given the right treatment advice!

Silly Flowers, it's okay to think ahead and want to go all out.. trust me, I have those moments too. Sometimes it's best to start small and work your way up.. like with Bud lol. Once I realized salt wouldn't work I brought in the help of the big guns and you seen the rest. But you do give great advice, and I love sharing a thread with you! And earth! Most of the time I just come along after earth and verify what was written, since it's usually always right :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #17 
earthworm88

No worries guys! I just thought I may have misunderstood the OP or gave the wrong recommendation somehow somewhere. I am guilty of skipping some key points or writing an incomplete help sometimes, I guess by the time I get to the bottom, my senile momemts got the best of me.

I always welcome suggestion and advice and happy to stand corrected, after all, I am here to learn

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote