Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #11 
Myates

Looks like fin biting.. poor fella.

Don't use AQ salt on him, it's not needed and the added stress of the smaller container and daily 100% water change may be too much for him at this point.

If you have a home for him set up, go ahead and place him in there (with only water conditioner) and leave the light dimmed for the few hours after so he can calm down.

Afterwards, I would just leave him be, offer him food daily and not disturb him until it's time to do the weekly water change (you can turn on the lights after the initial adjustment period)- once he is settled he may stop biting his fins. But for now, the more stress he is under, the more he will keep getting at them. So, the less you do, the better for him at this point.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #12 
wishfull

Whew that's a relief =_=
I just put him in a newly divided tank and was getting panic attacks from thinking its fin rot!
wishfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #13 
Myates

:)

Keep an eye on him and his stress level while in the divided tank, make sure there is a cave or place he can go to hide if he feels stressed and wants to get away from his neighbor.

Otherwise, just keep up on the weekly water changes, Stress Coat if you have it, and he should be fine in time.

Even if he is a fin biter, it happens.. I think most people who keep multiple bettas have one or more who bites. I have one that is active, happy, healthy, growing up nicely, has all he wants.. and one day I changed his tank a little bit (added in a new plant and new substrate) and immediately after that, he started biting.. even reversing all I had done, he still does it. So my little dalmation has a shorter tail that's all raggedy. Sadness. But it happens. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #14 
wishfull

Ahh well he seems really to have acclimatised to tank makes fast XD

Within an hour he loss all skittishness started flaring, lols actually out of the lot he seems the most aggressive - Bless Wholly's little heart for Generally ignoring him calm.

Yeah, I agree with your point; I actually don't mind that he's a tail bitter since he's still really cute ~<3 (a shame though XD).

I just worry because this leaves him more vulnerable and I think would hurt a bit :(

Also strange since he had such pretty fins at the store despite being in barely 1L (to the stores defense they do daily changes and have a heap of pretty HM).

Well I;ll always have my photos :D
As a kudos I'll add one here ;)
Attached Images

wishfull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipated, dying, fin rot, ripped fins