Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 
JennMc

Betta Coloring Help?

Hi,
I recently bought this male Dragonscale HMPK, and I'm not sure what color to call him? Any help out there?

Sorry for the bad pics. I can't get him to flare at the same time I snap a pic on my phone. :/

Last edited by JennMc; 02-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.
JennMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 
JennMc

I keep googling pics of Bettas but can't find one exactly his color, the closest i can figure is that he has a platinum, copper, or steel grey colored body and orange/salmon fins with blue edges.. still waiting for some other input by more experienced Betta Owners.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
chrissylee13

hmm.. you're right. he is a different color. not sure if i've ever seen it before. he's really pretty though!
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

Steel mustard gas?
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 
JennMc

ChrissyLee - Thanks! I've never seen one his color before either, that's why I had to snatch him up. I'm gonna try to get better pictures made of him and post again later.

fishy_friend - That's one of my guesses. My only problem with the steel part is that he's almost a purply/pinkish-steel and not blue, and when I google Steel colored betta's they all are very blue tinted, so not sure if he has to be blue for it to qualify, or if it's just close enough. He's a puzzle, but he's perty!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #6 
JennMc

Updated Pics

New pics of him. Still with the camera phone, but I got him to flare up by putting a mirror in his tank for a bit. These turned out better.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Due to various new mutations in the drgn variety, some people (in my country) call these colors copper drgn (according to the base color) while others would call them black drgn (according to it's origin). He is probably a mix between black drgn (silverish body with black fins) and other dragons.

Like the green and blue dragons, copper dragons don't usually have white/silver bodies. They remain copper. Their fins can show different combinations - the classic grey background with red rays, giving it that copper/gold look. Or it can also come in other colors; red, orange, yellow, and black.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Due to various new mutations in the drgn variety, some people (in my country) call these colors copper drgn (according to the base color) while others would call them black drgn (according to it's origin). He is probably a mix between black drgn (silverish body with black fins) and other dragons.

Like the green and blue dragons, copper dragons don't usually have white/silver bodies. They remain copper. Their fins can show different combinations - the classic grey background with red rays, giving it that copper/gold look. Or it can also come in other colors; red, orange, yellow, and black.
Personally I would just call him a copper dragon because of how the copper really is the most color you can see on him. Then in other pictures he looks to have yellow and a orangey pink that seems to be like a red wash in other bettas only its a different color on him.

Very interesting colors on him. Indjo, if you (personally) were the breeder and decided to put him up for sale on AB, what would be your title name for him?

I think that if I was at such a road block, I would call him a copper dragon and then explain who and what I crossed so buyers know how I got to such a unique color, but that doesn't matter much I this case.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Personally I'd call him copper drgn because he is a drgn scaled copper - not a black copper nor a black drgn.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #10 
bettalover2033

I would agree.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote