Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Small ammount of columnaris and a few questions.

Might recognize me from Watson's thread here. DX Yesterday night I got another betta (Well, went and looked at him with my dad, then came home to find my mom and sis 'captured by horse aliens with five horns and eight noses' and went back out to get him. XD) and noticed this morning that Sarge has a little bit of fuzzyness on his eye. Considering I just got him from the petstore and from the research I've been doing, I'm thinking its a columnaris. Since its only at the edge of his eye by what I can tell, I'll be treating it with aquarium salt.

I do have a few questions! I've read about using Maracyn and Maracyn two at the same time, why both of them and should I get them to treat the columnaris? And how contagious is columnaris? Watson's already (?)sick(?) and with Holmes being healthy I don't want to make him sick too. I have another tank I can set up in another room if I need to.

I'll get a picture up as soon as I can. :)

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 02-06-2012 at 09:54 AM.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi Hazel,
If you are sure it's Columnaris, then you definitely want to quarantine your Sarge until this issue is resolved as it is contagious. Since you said only a small amount is shown, I agree aquarium salt should be the first line of defense at this point.

As for your Maracyn question, Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria, so Maracyn II is the drug of choice, however, in some cases, both Maracyn I & II are used simultaneously to cover both gram negative and positive strains as you wouldn't know if there is also a secondary infection or not, so just to be on the safe side to eliminate both. Is your Sarge eating well? Make sure you don't share any of the stuff with your other fish and wash your hands well before and after.

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I would suggest keeping maracyn 2 on hand. if you cant find it locally, check online. I got some off ebay since petco does not carry it.

I suggest keeping it on hand because if you do get a nasty case of it, by the time you go to the store or wait for it to arrive via the mail, it may be too late :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Hi Hazel,
If you are sure it's Columnaris, then you definitely want to quarantine your Sarge until this issue is resolved as it is contagious. Since you said only a small amount is shown, I agree aquarium salt should be the first line of defense at this point.

As for your Maracyn question, Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria, so Maracyn II is the drug of choice, however, in some cases, both Maracyn I & II are used simultaneously to cover both gram negative and positive strains as you wouldn't know if there is also a secondary infection or not, so just to be on the safe side to eliminate both. Is your Sarge eating well? Make sure you don't share any of the stuff with your other fish and wash your hands well before and after.

Good luck!
Thanks for the luck! :)

Sarge hasn't eaten yet, but since I just got him I'm not too worried about it, Watson and Holmes did the same. Other than that he's active, much more so than either of my other guys when I first got them, and more social. The only thing that I'm using for all of them is the milk jug and home-made siphon pump, both for water changes, and I wash those with HOT water between fish. (And my hands... Ow... XD)

The fuzzyness on his eye left quickly, if not almost instantly, yesterday when I did a water change and used AQ salt. (Makes me wonder if it was Columnaris, but better safe than sorry.) Its still gone today, but I'm not sure how long to continue doing the treatments- I was thinking a week just to make sure that it is gone, and because I also noticed he might have a little bit of fin rot and/or might be a bit of a tail biter.

I went and lost the camera cord, so no pictures. He's a lovely baby blue/dark blue delta tail, with a silvery iris and an almost neon blue mustache. As soon as I find the cord I'll post pics! :3

(Oh, good news! Watson's much better! I'll put it more detailed on his thread. :D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I would suggest keeping maracyn 2 on hand. if you cant find it locally, check online. I got some off ebay since petco does not carry it.

I suggest keeping it on hand because if you do get a nasty case of it, by the time you go to the store or wait for it to arrive via the mail, it may be too late :(
I'm almost 100% sure that the petsmart near me has it, I'll see if I can get some next time I'm in there. Thanks! =D
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
HazelrahLayna7

Haha, found the cord in with my fish stuff. Moms are good stuff spotters, I would have never looked there. XD

*Points to fins* I think the 'u'ey bits are where he's bitten them, anyone who knows what fin biters fins look like have any input? :)

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 02-07-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 
earthworm88

Great news indeed! I am glad it's working out for him. What a cutie! Moms are omnipotent...they "know" where everything is!

You are right, I agree it is best to continue with the AQ salt treatment for a week especially now there are questionable/possible fin rot. I think normally if you were treating a fin rot, you would want to continue for an extra couple days even after the blacken edge has disappeared. In most garden variety cases, the 10 day course treatment would be sufficient.

Yeah, that look very much like sign of tailbite to me. Just keep the water super clean to ward off infection. Feed him high protein and varied diet, the fin will grow in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Always love to hear happy stories

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #7 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Great news indeed! I am glad it's working out for him. What a cutie! Moms are omnipotent...they "know" where everything is!

You are right, I agree it is best to continue with the AQ salt treatment for a week especially now there are questionable/possible fin rot. I think normally if you were treating a fin rot, you would want to continue for an extra couple days even after the blacken edge has disappeared. In most garden variety cases, the 10 day course treatment would be sufficient.

Yeah, that look very much like sign of tailbite to me. Just keep the water super clean to ward off infection. Feed him high protein and varied diet, the fin will grow in no time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Always love to hear happy stories

Cheers!
I know! Moms are awesome that way. XD

I thought it looked more like tail biting. :) I'll keep up on the water changes and the AQ salt for a little over a week then!

Sarge ate yesterday morning, last night, and this morning, so that's another thing off the 'worry about' list.

Happy stories are among the best- Especially when its for pets!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #8 
HazelrahLayna7

Sarge is still going strong! I can't tell if his fins are healing, but I don't see any more bites (that I can tell. <.< >.>). I still have him in the AQ salt and no more signs of the columnaris. =)