Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Nah it's fine. I love to talk about my wilds. They are really interesting fish.

Finally mastered hatching BBS and my surprise strohi fry (sold mum and dad and found these guys in the empty tank) just had their first proper meal. Can't wait to see how they develop. Strohi are a really nice looking species of wild, sort of like a giant coccina.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #22 
blueridge

Wow a surprise batch of fry! That must have been crazy! Your right (just looked them up) they are pretty! Do you treat the fry the same way as the splendens? And how did you get into wilds?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #23 
Zappity

Beautiful fish!! :) I'm thinking about getting some wild bettas for my 5g also. Which ones would you suggest? How many could I keep? Do you have to baffle the filter for them? Are your tanks cycled? How do you keep the Java Moss alive? Do you use a special light?
Sorry for so many questions!! I'm really interested xD
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

If you look a few posts back I answered BlueRidge's question on what could fit in a 5 gallon tank.

I don't cycle my wild betta tanks. The pH is so low that it stalls the growth of the beneficial bacteria and inhibits efficient conversion of ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. Instead I understock and do regular 25-30% water changes every few days.

I use sponge filters in most of my wild tanks. I adjust the flow to low using a valve that connects to the airline tubing.

I don't do anything special with my java moss. Some grows in natural light while some grows under my fluros. It's pretty impossible to kill java moss.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote