Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
USNavyWife

Talking Hull-o ^.^

Well hiya :) The name is Amanda, but feel free to call me anything you'd like.

I hail from the lands of Maryland in the USA, but within the past few years have also lived in Pennsylvania, New York, and now I live in Connecticut.

If you can't tell by the name, I'm a US Navy Wife. Currently, we are in the middle of getting re-positioned in a new job, seeing as the Navy removed him from the Nuclear Engineering training that he has underwent for the past 2 years. Right now though, he is still known as a Machinists Mate Petty Officer 3rd Class and we are stationed in Groton, CT.

I haven't been married long, we got married in December of 2011 just before X-mas on the 11th. We had a cute little Navy wedding where I had 2 of his close friends and 2 of my close friends and we got married inside of a cave :) It is a pretty popular tourist attraction in the capital region and is called "Howe Caverns". I wanted a "different" wedding and I guess I got it :P

I am currently the owner of only 1 betta fish. His name is Dinq and I bought him from Petco on January 16, 2012. So I haven't owned him long, but he's amazing. He's can be seen in my avatar. He's purple, pink, red, and has some blue on him. He's absolutely amazing and honestly, I wouldn't trade him for the world. He's so funny and EXTREMELY active. He loved to swim and will play with you from inside of his tank. If you go up to it, he will always immediately come to look at you. If he's not swimming around and looking for his reflection or people he also like to pop and count the bubbles from the aerator in his small tank (he's moving to a betta 10 gallon mansion soon). I am looking forward to getting more fish and hopefully creating a sorority when I get to a more permanent duty station. It's hard as it is traveling with just one fish and I don't think it's fair to keep stressing him out by moving him all over with me. I don't think I could ever leave him though. I love him so much! I think I am a little obsessive actually, but he's like having a kid and a dog at the same time :)

My fish experience isn't "expert" but I have had experience with guppies. I used to breed them before I was married. Eventually, I gave away the males and some of the females got sick and eventually over time some of the fry did too. I think I had a pretty nasty case of sickness going on. Either way, I gave up fish for awhile since I was moving and eventually got lonely when my husband was going his training program and working 12 hour days 10 days in a row with only 2 off where most of the time he was sleeping. I worked, but it still wasn't enough when he also was on rotating shifts, so sometimes I would be home alone at night. I just wanted that one other "being" in the house to make it feel as if I weren't so alone. Dinq has been such a savior :)

Other than fish and traveling, I'm also into cars, trucks, motorcyles, arts and crafts, singing, cooking, and I have been involved with horses now for almost 14 years. So I would say I'm an expert with them :) Most of the time you can find me taking pictures though. I love cameras and going out and setting up and finding things to take pictures of. I love going to new places so I can find awesome things to take pictures of. Definitely a Canon fan. No Nikons used here :P

I am very happy to be here and have definitely learned a lot from all the posters and really enjoy finding other people with the same interest as me. I look forward to helping others when sharing my information and knowledge.

Thanks to everyone already for the advice and help. You've all been wonderful!

--Sending good vibes to you all and your bettas
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #2 
a5un4k

helllloooooo :D
a5un4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the forum I loved hearing about Dinq the betta LOL. We're glad you found us.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #4 
USNavyWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the forum I loved hearing about Dinq the betta LOL. We're glad you found us.

Thanks :) I'm SO glad I found everyone here too! The support and knowledge on here is beyond helpful. Plus, it's very nice to sit and see all of these other bettas everyone else has.
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #6 
1fishBlueFish

Hi Amanda!! Welcome to the forum! Dinq is an adorable fishy!! Congrats on your marriage!!
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....so glad you found us and joined our Betta keeping community.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hi, Amanda and welcome to the forum. My brother was in the Navy 24 years ago and he was in Nuclear power school for awhile and he said it was extremely difficult. He ended up getting out of nuclear power school.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #9 
Wildehund

Welcome to the forum Amanda!
Dinq is so cool!
Jarvis has been a life saver for me as well, it is nice to have the responsibility of taking care of a fish again. Been petless for the better part of two years... Never again! :)
Wildehund is offline   Reply With Quote