Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #1 
bettasusa

Snail Quarantine?

So I'm thinking about adding snails to the baby tanks and was at the LFS the other day and they have Mystery Snails (Blue) there. Looked like a nice new shipment and all appeared to be in good health however they are in the tanks with other fish of course. Since I'm now spending about 4-6 hours working with the fish, I know its a lot! but I'm determined here...daily I'm really thinking hard about adding a snail or two per baby tank. (Tanks are 10 Gallons).

What are your recommendations about buying snails from the LFS or should I purchase them offline? Any quarantine period necessary before adding them into the tanks?

Thanks,

Lui & the Gang.
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 
Geomancer

You should quarantine anything you add to your tanks, and this would include inverts and plants. Don't medicate or anything, just observe for a week and make sure nothing unusual crops up.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

^ Agreed. With a mystery snail, though, don't quarantine it in anything too small.... Even though you might be getting a tiny little mystery snail, those things poop like crazy and have stuff in their digestive system that stinks to high heaven if you have them in anything small.... I definitely learned my lesson when I first got my snail -.- Had it in a vase that was about 1/2 gallon (I really wanted one and I was trying to cycle my 5g at the time).. I was going to do 100% daily changes, but after the first couple of days, it seemed like I would have to change the water every 12 hours or less rather than just the one... -.-
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 
bettasusa

thanks for the info. I know about quarantine, but never heard of it with the snails so I was just making sure. These three that I purchased yesterday have a 10 Gallon to themselves right now for a week or so until I am comfortable with them being placed with the fish. Thanks again! Lui
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote