Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #111 
Amphibianite

Yep, I know the feeling, so many great pairs, so little time to do at a time haha.

Yeah he is a nice little dragon scale, can't wait to breed, I put some IAL in some of my boys tanks and they are loving it.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #112 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Yep, I know the feeling, so many great pairs, so little time to do at a time haha.

Yeah he is a nice little dragon scale, can't wait to breed, I put some IAL in some of my boys tanks and they are loving it.
That is why I love having back up pairs! I find that I get impatient with a pair and tend to give them few chances when I have other pairs.

Are they making bubblenests? They usually love IAL and it keeps them nice and healthy!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #113 
Amphibianite

Yeah , well may call them my back up spawn, Get some half suns going.

My blue marble boy sure is. I added some to others who have some what.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #114 
Amphibianite

Well my worms should be here any day now. This weekend I am going to get some cheese clothe for the worm containers for the tops. Also going to pick up about half an ounce of live black worms to finish conditioning my spawn.

I am thinking I will condition a few pairs just in case this pair doesn't take. I think my first back up pair will be the purple CT and the Mustard gas HM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #115 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Well my worms should be here any day now. This weekend I am going to get some cheese clothe for the worm containers for the tops. Also going to pick up about half an ounce of live black worms to finish conditioning my spawn.

I am thinking I will condition a few pairs just in case this pair doesn't take. I think my first back up pair will be the purple CT and the Mustard gas HM.
What an interesting Back up. Though you should know that it takes more generations that you think to create nice looking Halfsuns. It is doable, so dont let me discourage you!

What color halfsun are you going for?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #116 
Amphibianite

With the body colors of the fish I have, I am hoping on a purple with emerald body, with yellow and purple finage. It may create a form of butterfly I am not sure. My HM as was pointed out is a dragon scale so that could make it a purple base with emerald scaling.

I also have my Blue Marble sibling Hm, HMPK pair to breed as well. The male have a lot of cellophane in the fins.

I found a very interesting article on Marbles though
"The marble betta was created in the beginning of the 1970s by Orville Gulley, a prison inmate at the penal institute in Indiana [3, 8]. Orville as breeding betta here in peanut butter jars, as part of a rehabilitation program. The story goes that Orville was trying to create a black butterfly betta which then led to the discovery of the marble gene. Walt Maurus and a handfull of other breeders started to breed the marbles for pattern and this lead to the distrubution of the marbles all over the United States. The orginal marbles were black and white but now they are available in virtually every color imaginable.
In young marbles bettas the marble pattern can shift from week to week and once the fish matures most of the times the pattern is fixed.
The marble mutation appears to be a partly dominant gene, the marble (Mb) gene, which has a highly variable expression. When marbles are introduced into a true-breeding solid colored line, it is becomes very difficult for the breeder to return his stock to a non-marble true-breeding solid colored type."
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #117 
bettalover2033

Quote:
With the body colors of the fish I have, I am hoping on a purple with emerald body, with yellow and purple finage. It may create a form of butterfly I am not sure. My HM as was pointed out is a dragon scale so that could make it a purple base with emerald scaling.

I also have my Blue Marble sibling Hm, HMPK pair to breed as well. The male have a lot of cellophane in the fins.

I found a very interesting article on Marbles though
"The marble betta was created in the beginning of the 1970s by Orville Gulley, a prison inmate at the penal institute in Indiana [3, 8]. Orville as breeding betta here in peanut butter jars, as part of a rehabilitation program. The story goes that Orville was trying to create a black butterfly betta which then led to the discovery of the marble gene. Walt Maurus and a handfull of other breeders started to breed the marbles for pattern and this lead to the distrubution of the marbles all over the United States. The orginal marbles were black and white but now they are available in virtually every color imaginable.
In young marbles bettas the marble pattern can shift from week to week and once the fish matures most of the times the pattern is fixed.
The marble mutation appears to be a partly dominant gene, the marble (Mb) gene, which has a highly variable expression. When marbles are introduced into a true-breeding solid colored line, it is becomes very difficult for the breeder to return his stock to a non-marble true-breeding solid colored type."
Oh I knew that besides who created it.

They usually call it the Jumping gene as well because it is known to change a betta and make it look as if it were a completely different betta. I have read this on Bettysplendens.com the article name is ("The Ever Changing Marble").

These are truly my favorite bettas because of the amazing surprises!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #118 
Amphibianite

Well I find it fascinating that a prison inmate created such a wonderful color variant. Yeah they are amazing, I can not wait to see what happens with my marbles.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #119 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Well I find it fascinating that a prison inmate created such a wonderful color variant. Yeah they are amazing, I can not wait to see what happens with my marbles.
The world works in mysterious ways! A PRISON inmate. That is truly amazing! Haha its funny that a prison inmate is today respected as a betta breeder LOL!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #120 
Amphibianite

I know it truly is amazing, who could have guessed a guy like that could make Marble bettas. I also find it amazing that he knew enough about betta genetics to try what he was trying,