Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #1 
lilyannd

Unhappy sick fish????

I have received two fish from a friend. One of them is a big blue fish named Spock and he has no health problems. The other is a smaller red fish named Captain Kirk and he has been sick. When I first got them Kirk did not even look like he would make it through the night, but two weeks later he is still doing well. He has white spots and I am treating him with some Ich medicine I purchased from Petsmart. His spots are starting to look better but now his fins (I think) they seem to be falling off. I know that there tank is kinda small (I am buying a bigger tank for them soon), I feed them pellets once a day and blood worms at the end of the day. I really want to know what to do to help him, I already lost one fish due to the cold I really don't want to lose another. Thank you for your time and help,
Lily N
lilyannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #2 
dormfish

If you could fill this out, we could help you better :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #3 
lilyannd

The tank is super small (i dont even think it is a gallon)
I add some water every few days (i dont know percent just a little)
I dont test the water but i use purified bottled water treated with a pH and a conditioner.
I am treating my fish with a Ich medicine and other fungus
I feed them pellets and freeze dried worms and i feed them twice a day. I have only had him (Kirk) a few weeks but he was significantly smaller then the other fish I received at the same time (Spock) that lives in the divided tank with him. Spock is big and healthy with bright colors. He has shown no signs of illness or anything. He is very active and blows lots of bubbles. Kirk on the other hand is not as active. He is small and looks funny. His eyes are very bulgy and his mouth is kind of misshapen. When I received Kirk he was very light complected almost white but now he is red and brighter but the scales towards his head are dark brown. He has a big white pimple looking thing on his nose just above his mouth.
I do not have a heater for them because of the small tank but I keep a light on and have the tank right under the light.
The tank has little plastic plants attached (I really don't like them when I get the bigger tank I plan on putting the real plants in it because the fish don't really like the plastic plant
I don't use a filter for the tank or anything like that, just have plastic plants and gravel in the tank.
I do not know how old the fish is (I think he is just a few months old) and I do not know if the fish has been sick, but the person who gave me the fish said that she had trouble taking proper care of them because she didnt have the time.
I think I answered all of your questions if not please let me know and i will give you the info if i know it
Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #4 
lilyannd

if you look at the one where kirk is facing you you can see how there is a white spot on his nose and if you look closely at the side view you can see at the end of the fins on bottom the ends are falling off and and turning white.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #5 
dormfish

Well first off, they need a way bigger tank. That will help a lot. They are probably very stressed in such a small tank.
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #6 
Enkil

As was said, they definitely need the bigger tank, but you've said you plan on getting one. With the bigger space, you'll also want a heater since they're tropical.
Also, tap water is better than the purified bottle water for them.

His fins may be fin rot or the fake plant might be causing some damage. Clean water will help and will also keep away other infections.
Does the white spot on his nose look fuzzy/cottony to you?
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote