Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #11 
Phineastoo

So SURPRISE my dad bought me a 3 gallon fish tank tonight for my birthday. I got it set up and running and the water's been treated and salted. I still need a heater and some decorations, but it's looking good.

I was wondering if I had to cycle it before I put him in there (I haven't yet, obviously) it's running a bubble stone/under gravel filter situation and in any case I was going to let it stew a day or so before transferring him over, but I wanted to make sure that was okay. I know I'm asking a lot of newb questions but I don't want to kill my fish :C
Phineastoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #12 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Sounds great! Is it that cylindrical one with the bubble column running up the middle? I don't think you need to salt the water, as prolonged exposure to aquarium salt can damage the fish's internal organs!
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #13 
Phineastoo

Yes, that's the exact tank I have now, I love the bubble column because it makes for virtually no current, it's fantastic. I was kind of hoping to put him in there this afternoon after I test the water, would that be okay or should I cycle it?

Also, is aquarium salt really bad for them? I was going on the advice of a breeder and basically the instructions, both of which indicate to add it when setting up and doing water changes for fungus prevention and the like.
Phineastoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #14 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Well I'm still a fairly new betta owner myself (going on 2 months now), but from what I understand:
1) Aquarium Salt should only be used for treatment, and not a prolonged time.
2) Though it is possible to cycle a 3 gallon, it is not very stable and should not require cycling before the fish. Not sure about water changes, but I'd guess about 1 50% during the week and a 100% once a week.
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #15 
kfryman

Yup Arbiter is right, it will do more harm then food unless it is for treatment. Maximum of salt exposure is 10-14 days. Though if the Betta does have fungus or a wound you can use it pre dissolved. The salt is always good to have on hand so don't toss it.

And as far as cycling, it is almost impossible to hold a cycle, so you can put a Betta in there after the salt goes.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #16 
xjenuhfur

Did you get the Baby BiOrb? Because its actually an almost 4 gallon tank (like 3.98 gal, lets round). I have the same tank. Use the stuff they give you in the package and let it cycle for 24 hours, then you can add your betta. Mine has some ghost shrimp and Goblin in it. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote