The first attempt at spawning was several weeks ago. At the start, the pair looked receptive to each other, but M1 never built a nest. Eventually he started chasing BFF too much and the spawn was cancelled.
After 2 more weeks of conditioning, they were put back in the tank in the traditional hobbyist method. M1 immediately went to work on a huge nest. BFF was in the chimney glass for 2 days and finally released on Friday 1/27/2012. The spawn itself happened on Saturday, 1/28/2012, though I did not know it at the time.
I made a rookie mistake by not checking the nest for eggs. I assumed the spawn had failed again. I introduced another female, who was promptly chased from the nest relieved of her fins. I gave up and started a water change. It was after removing half of the water from the tank that I noticed a nest full of eggs. I slowly dripped the water back and cursed my incompetence.
The next couple of days M1 was hard at work tending the nest and the eggs. On Monday, 1/30/2012, I saw my first dangling tail.
More pictures will come in the next few days with more updates. I wanted to get this log started for you all.