Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #71 
OMB

Can't wait to hear how things went when you get home!
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #72 
CalvinWill

So i took a long lunch and went home to check on them. No progress. M1 still hadn't blown more then a few bubbles under the cup and was ignoring the lid that he usually piles nests under. He was chasing the female when he would find her. She doesn't have a scratch on her, his fins are nipped down a bit but nothing else going on.

I took the cup and lid out and replaced them with a square of bubblewrap. Hopefully that will trick him into adding to this big "nest" and impress the lady. She is back in the chimney on the far side of the tank.

A bit frustrated, but I know this is about patience.

Any ideas? I will post in the breeding forum when I get home if I don't see any positive progress.
CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #73 
sunrise2397

oohh ive read everything on this thread, and i love your whole story! i really hope everything goes well for you and the spawn

oh and your guy m-1 looks amazing compared to when you first bought him!
sunrise2397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #74 
CalvinWill

So, big update:

After the breeding "test run" two weeks ago, I pulled them from the tank and reconditioned. This Friday evening, I put M1 in the tank and the Black Fire in the chimney. Things were much different. M1 immediately went to work building a huge bubble nest and filled up the cup over night and spilled the nest over to the plants.

When BFF was released, they flirted, danced, circled, and all was going well. She inspected the nest, he danced around her and showed all the signs. Then the nipping, chasing and hiding started. I got pretty disappointed. I kept an eye on them but never saw them spawn. She would keep going towards the nest, he would chase her away, and she would hide.

After 48 hours, I took BFF out of the tank and decided to toss the large Multi in. I had her in the chimney for 2 hours, and then released her. M1 paid very little attention to her. No flaring, no dancing, no flirting. She looked interested, but he wanted nothing to do with her. The chasing started getting more aggressive, and he shredded her fins pretty bad.

Finally, at 8pm last night, I decided to call it. I took the multi out and stuck her in her tank and started a water change on the breeding tank.

After siphoning 2.5 gallons out of the tank, I finally realized that M1 was acting odd. He wasn't out looking at me. He wasn't chasing the siphon. He looked more concerned then anything. I looked in the nest. Nothing. I remembered something I had read. I grabbed my flashlight and looked again.

EGGS. Tons of little cream colored eggs. Dozens. over 100 maybe. M1 was frantically watching them, cleaning them, catching them and putting them back in. The disturbance from the water change was knocking the eggs all over the place. Who knows how many I siphoned up during the change. Rookie move. ALWAYS CHECK THE NEST WITH A FLASHLIGHT!!

Over the next 2 hours I dripped the 2.5 gallons back in to the tank. M1 is still looking at the nest, watching his brood of eggs.

So i had a spawn. Honestly, I can't even be sure what female it was. I am 90% sure it was the BFF, but I never saw an embrace.

pics to come. For some reason, I cannot upload pictures right now.

Last edited by CalvinWill; 01-30-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #75 
CalvinWill

Battle Damage.

BFF is extremely fast. after 4 days total with M1 this is the worst she has been.

The Multi is so considerably bigger and slower. I think her long fins threatened M1 and he wanted them gone. The worst of the damage came 2 weeks ago. This time M1 didn't even bother with her.
Attached Images

Last edited by CalvinWill; 01-30-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #76 
CalvinWill

BFF under the nest.

and M1 tending to the nest. I just saw my first bouncing wiggler. They are starting to hatch. I am now pretty certain that it was BFF whom M1 spawned with as they are hatching less then 24 hours after I introduced the multi.

I am starting to take lots of pictures and videos. A spawn log will be starting this week. After that, this thread will go back to being just about M1.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #77 
cjayBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Stress Coat will help with the healing of fins. I believe :D

Marimo moss balls are easy plants, they'll usually collect debris up so once in awhile take them out of the tank and rinse them, squeeze them gently and try to roll them into a sphere like you're playing with Play Doh, it'll help maintain their spherical shape.
Thank you, this post has conviced my husband to get me one
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #78 
OMB

Still a great story! (You have got to be a writer, right?!)
Looking forward to seeing pics & vids of the new babies!
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #79 
CalvinWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
(You have got to be a writer, right?!)
Journalism degree.

M1 is doing great after the spawn. His fins are growing back well and he is back to building nests.

Here is the spawn log as promised:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=92800

Also, here is a picture of M1 trying to get the snail away from his nest when he was in the breeding tank. Blurry, but it is the best I could do.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #80 
djembekah

amazing! i looked at your spawn log earlier, then looked at this thread. what a story!!!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote