Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Eating betta fish????

OMG! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MAD I AM! I JUST FOUND A VIDEO WHERE SOMEONE DECIDED TO EAT A BETTA FISH. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG

THIS IS SO CRUEL. I'M SO MAD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

When will people stop.

Last edited by Romad; 02-16-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 
SlinkyInk

It's hard to think about that since we are all lovers of bettas. However, I can't say anything negative about eating a fish since I love seafood. I eat fish at least 3 times a week. That doesn't mean I'm going to go fry up my betta, but I'm not going to stop eating salmon and cod, or tuna and shrimp, etc.
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
Leeniex

IMO it's no worse than the people who fight bettas, or anyone who abuses animals. People suck.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 
ravenwinds

A couple weeks ago, during a Google search on bettas, I came across an extremely rude and juvenile website forum devoted to paintball, off road motorcycle racing, etc. Someone had put up a thread asking for videos of fish fighting. Had a few responses already but they were mating bettas, feeder rodents and fish getting eaten, etc...very moronic and juvenile...sick and wrong to be posting a request of that nature and the results.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #5 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyInk View Post
It's hard to think about that since we are all lovers of bettas. However, I can't say anything negative about eating a fish since I love seafood. I eat fish at least 3 times a week. That doesn't mean I'm going to go fry up my betta, but I'm not going to stop eating salmon and cod, or tuna and shrimp, etc.
I second this opinion. It's funny since I was just having this conversation with someone about fish. I personally love a good wood grilled salmon

Plus, there's not really much to eat from a betta... obviously this person was just trying to get an emotional response.
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyInk View Post
I feel the same way. I love bettas but I will continue to eat Tilapia, Tuna, Salmon, and shellfish. The same thing goes for bunnies. Someday I hope to own two and I'm even thinking about going to Petco's Adopt a Bunny event this weekend. As much as I like bunnies I'm not going to attack someone for posting a video of a well prepared bunny stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrimoniousArbiter View Post
I second this opinion. It's funny since I was just having this conversation with someone about fish. I personally love a good wood grilled salmon

Plus, there's not really much to eat from a betta... obviously this person was just trying to get an emotional response.
This is the reason I dislike the video the OP is talking about. I may eat fish but I eat fish that are meant to be eaten. There are some small fish, like anchovies, that are small with little meat but still considered food. But bettas are only regulated as pets. If the betta in the video was ever in a tank with properly treated water, it was toxic to the person and could have made the person very sick.

The only reason I can think of for eating a fish that can potentially harm your health is video trolling. The person wanted to upset people with the video and he/she succeeded. People like that will never stop.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Okay personally I don't think this is something to get worked up about. It's a fish. People eat fish. Like someone above said they probably just want some kind of response. I can understand why someone would think it cruel, but honestly it's no different than cooking any other type of fish. Now why a person would want to eat a betta who has very little meat I don't know. But it really isn't worth getting worked up about. People eat fish of all kinds end of story.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 
GunsABlazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Okay personally I don't think this is something to get worked up about. It's a fish. People eat fish. Like someone above said they probably just want some kind of response. I can understand why someone would think it cruel, but honestly it's no different than cooking any other type of fish. Now why a person would want to eat a betta who has very little meat I don't know. But it really isn't worth getting worked up about. People eat fish of all kinds end of story.
+1
A guy my dad works with talks about walking in the rice pattys of Thailand, reaching into the water and catching a wild relative of our Betta splendins...and eating him raw and alive. They are a food source.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #9 
SnowySurface

My response is based on eating a tamed Betta. Like the type you would buy on Aquabid or something. The wild bettas haven't been in treated water so they are safe to eat as a food source. But if the video featured a betta that was bred for captivity, then the person made the video simply to tick people off. I think there is a big difference between a rice paddy worker having lunch in front of a camera and a jerk making a trolling vid. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 
GunsABlazin

Very true Snowy.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote