Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #11 
JBosley

Here are some pictures! It's still cloudy *grumbles* Sorry they aren't the best! Will try to get better ones tomorrow during the day
Attached Images

JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #12 
Bombalurina

I would be very careful of Melafix. It is made using eucalypt oil, which can seriously irritate a betta's labyrinth organ. I have heard of deaths caused by Melafix. If you want to use it, get it's much diluted cousin, Bettafix, and if anything, underdose. Personally, I wouldn't use it at all. It is simply a herbal extract and I honestly think you will acheive the same results with clean, warm water. :)
My first rescue betta, Apollo, came to me in a one litre jar with no heat and dirty water, and within a few days (even after I got him into a 20 litre tank with warm, clean water) his tail fell off. There were mere centimetres left. I got it back by raising the temperature to 82F and doing daily water changes. I used Bettafix for a week during that healing period and saw no difference at all.

Your tank looks lovely - I adore Chis and I'm very jealous!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #13 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I would be very careful of Melafix. It is made using eucalypt oil, which can seriously irritate a betta's labyrinth organ. I have heard of deaths caused by Melafix. If you want to use it, get it's much diluted cousin, Bettafix, and if anything, underdose. Personally, I wouldn't use it at all. It is simply a herbal extract and I honestly think you will acheive the same results with clean, warm water. :)
My first rescue betta, Apollo, came to me in a one litre jar with no heat and dirty water, and within a few days (even after I got him into a 20 litre tank with warm, clean water) his tail fell off. There were mere centimetres left. I got it back by raising the temperature to 82F and doing daily water changes. I used Bettafix for a week during that healing period and saw no difference at all.

Your tank looks lovely - I adore Chis and I'm very jealous!
Gah! Alrighty, I will change another 25% of the water and hope to get most of it out

Thanks! I'm actually finding it a pain haha I should have gotten something smaller. I'm having issues with it being cloudy, and now there is white flecks on the rocks at the bottom I think it's from the water tablets I used! So frustrating.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #14 
JBosley

I just did another 25% (give or take) water change! The tank appears much cleaner now, and the smell of the Melafix is gone. So hopefully I got most of it out, or it is now diluted enough to not cause any/much damage to Dragonfly!

Dragonfly is doing great! He is much more active in this tank than he was in his Kritter Keeper And he is eating.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #15 
JBosley

Whoo! Got him a new plant today Making somewhat of a forest in the corner for him, heh heh.

And found the tank I want to get when I get a second fish! Man Petsmart is so much cheaper than the LFS.... they sell little glass tanks (no lids though) for under 20$.