Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 
BettaFishLuver

Red face Almost There!

Okay! So, after months and months of research, I have answered almost all my questions and I am almost ready to start purchasing all my supplies!Almost. The only way my mom will allow me to do this is if I know what I am going to do with my fry. I wan't to keep atleast one but if I am successful, I will have a lot fry on my hands! I could consider shipping them so I can get rid of a few that way.. That is the only thing I can think of! Besides this, I feel 99.8% prepared to start picking out a pair and spawning!

~Thanks for any answers! They are greatly appreciated!
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

What type of bettas are you planning to breed?
If you're planning to breed VTs, it will be very hard to get people to pay to ship fish. Also, to ship fish you need another set of supplies which can be costly (e.g. boxes, insulating material, heat packs, fish bags).
What's your plan to heat up the individual cups when the fry need to be separated?
If you're REALLY wanting to breed, I suggest you have a "back up" plan to get rid of fry. Look for a family owned petstore that might be willing to accept your fish. If you're lucky, you might get store credit as an exchange.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 
BettaFishLuver

Yeah, I was wondering if needed Petsmart can take them or something. I understand the shipping costs and would consider it.. I am glad you are asking me these questions! :) I want to be 100 percent prepard! Personally I never even thought of how to heat the individual jars!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 
Thomasdog

Yes, aquabid.com is good too. You could sell them 'by the scoop' as frys. I have heard of that....
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

You should check. Petsmart probably wont take them. You should as a mom and pops fish store.
Breeding take a LOT and it's definitely not for everone. I completely understand the draw but there are many other fish that dont require as much effort than bettas.
When planning, you need to prepare yourself for what I call the 3 stages of breeding: spawning, rearing, and grow out. They all require different things form you and you need to realize how much time and money it will all take.
I probably spent over $300 (breeding fish not included) before I placed fish in a spawning tank. You don't want to find yourself with hungry fry and no cultures, for example.
There's a lot of info here but if you want a more one on one, feel free to im me. I will be starting a new spawn myself in a couple of weeks.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 
Fabian

If you live in a place with warmer climate,i don't think you need to heat the jars.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #7 
BettaFishLuver

I wasn't planning on breeding until summer time when the weather gets warmer anyways! I am not going to buy my pair until I have a back up plan and many cultures going. I will check in with a few stores to see if they could take the fry, but I am hoping I'll be able to find them homes myself. Thanks for the help guys and I will check out aquabid.com!