Betta Fish Forum banner

Gettin a new Betta

889 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Karebear13 
#1 ·
Hey so Im thinking about getting a new betta. My poor little Rufio died today and I only had him for three weeks :(

Anyways Im not 100% sure of his death cause. I know he had ICH but just yesterday he got these weird white webby things in his eyes. And he died suddenly. How can I disinfect the tank so my new little friend won't get sick or catch whatever Rufio had.

Also, I want to try and do things right this time. How can I make sure my betta doesn't get any shock when I am putting him into his new home. What should I set the temperature too. I know it eventually has to be 78-80 but at first should I start up with a smaller temp and increase by increments. I know they are use to that cold water from the petstore, so Im assuming really heated water can be a stress for them. How often should I change the water, It is a two gallon tank. Any comments would be great and advice

thank you

#2 ·
Hey so Im thinking about getting a new betta. My poor little Rufio died today and I only had him for three weeks :(
*hugs* It's sad when they go. :( You get attached to them pretty quickly.

Anyways Im not 100% sure of his death cause. I know he had ICH but just yesterday he got these weird white webby things in his eyes. And he died suddenly. How can I disinfect the tank so my new little friend won't get sick or catch whatever Rufio had.

Also, I want to try and do things right this time. How can I make sure my betta doesn't get any shock when I am putting him into his new home. What should I set the temperature too. I know it eventually has to be 78-80 but at first should I start up with a smaller temp and increase by increments. I know they are use to that cold water from the petstore, so Im assuming really heated water can be a stress for them.
Float his cup or bag, whatever he comes in, in the tank, heated to at least 76. Leave it there for a good hour, adding a little bit of water from the warm tank every ten minutes. It is a nice slow acclimatisation that should be comfortable for him. Then, when you release him into the tank, you can slowly raise it to 80F. :)

How often should I change the water, It is a two gallon tank. Any comments would be great and advice
Do you have a filter? With a filter, a 50% and a 25% change a week would be my thing. Without, a 50% and a 100% change per week is best. :)

thank you

I hope this helps. :) I'm sorry I can't be more help on his cause of death - sounds like the ich just got to him. How where you treating him?

#3 ·
Thanks for replying Bombalurina :)

I do not have a filter, I had one before and it was just hard to cycle my tank (too small) so I decided to go without a filter. So I should do a 50% midweek and then 100% at the end of the week?

What about disinfecting the tank? I plan on throwing away the gravel because it may have ICH still. Do I just rinse everything in hot water multiple times?

When I put in my new friend should I use a net to avoid putting in the cup water from the store?

I was using Kordon RIDICH, It took forever for the White specks to go away and I continued using it for three days more like the medication says to. He wasn't eating at all so Im guessing his immune system wasn't strong enough to help fight off the parasite either. What is strange is that he looked perfect on Monday and then tuesday looked awful. That is when I added the heater (monday night) too so idk if that affected him.

#4 ·
Yeah, I'd go with the 50/100 schedule. :)

It is probably safest to throw away the gravel, but you can instead just wash it with a 1:9 bleach:water solution, then rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Filling the tank up, heating it to 85F and just leaving it for a week should also do the trick.

I've no experience with Kordron (can't get it here). I suspect that the temperature change was too sudden for him in his weakened state. If you encounter ich again, raise the temperature to 85F for a week. A betta can take that temperature for a short time, and it will kill the ich much more quickly.

Rather than using a net, because that can damage a fish's fins, I would use a ladle or a measuring cup. Yes, you do get a bit of water, but you can drain some out carefully into the old cup before slipping him into the tank. :)

#5 ·
Okay great I will try that water schedule! And I will disinfect by raising the temp of the tank for a week.. Thank You so much you are such a big help :)

#6 ·
Hey Bombalurina What about the accessories I had in the tank. Is there a way to disinfect the silk plant and Cave I had in there?

#7 ·
FYI -

Here's a video that shows you a great way to acclimate your fish to your tank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PwPFLCO1g

First you float the bag/cup to get the temperatures to match.

Then, you use a bit of airline tubing to siphon water from your tank to the cup holding your fish. If your cup isn't big enough to hold 3x the water, then you can scoop cup water out as you go along...

Airline tubing and the plastic valve to adjust the drip speed only cost a few dollars...

Siphon procedure:
The water level on your tank must be higher than the water level on your target cup. Put one end of the airline tubing into the tank. Put a valve on the other end (leave it in the open position). Suck on the valve end (like a straw) to get the water through the tubing and over the edge of the tank - and gravity does the rest. If you raise the free end above the tank water level, the siphoning will stop and you can adjust the valve as needed.

#11 ·
Okay so this weekend Im planning on buying me new little guy for my Birthday! And I am going back home and I thought since I like that Petsmart way better than the one near my school I wanted to buy him there. I have travelled with my previous betta before. I Normally just put him in his little cup and drive its only 3 hours... What can I do to relieve my new betta from stress during the car ride? I will probably get him Sunday. Should I leave him in the little cup overnight or should I do a water change in that little cup?

#12 ·
Also Some things Im changing.

planning on having these things around:
-Epsom salt
-aq salt
- gonna try using Prime instead of the de-chlorinator I'm using now
-doing 50% and 100% water changes weekly
-I have a heater

Anything else you guys advice I get for the new guy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.