Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #1 
MarlinAndBloo

Aqueon Evolve 2 - Betta fish resting near filter intake?

My betta fish has been resting near what I think is the filter intake. This is my 2nd tank, but still a beginner to keeping fish! He isn't in danger of being sucked in, but I do wonder if his fins could get damaged. Right now I'm keeping the filter unplugged until I find a solution. The attached picture shows what I'm talking about. Btw, the picture is not of my tank! Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

MarlinAndBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinAndBloo View Post
My betta fish has been resting near what I think is the filter intake. This is my 2nd tank, but still a beginner to keeping fish! He isn't in danger of being sucked in, but I do wonder if his fins could get damaged. Right now I'm keeping the filter unplugged until I find a solution. The attached picture shows what I'm talking about. Btw, the picture is not of my tank! Thanks for the help!
I also have one of my tanks, also an Aqueon Evolve 2, unplugged for the same reason. Even if I have the filter flow at it's lowest, the pull is still too much for my longfinned VT, Tango. I was told that I can order an aquarium hose clamp and clamp it on the hose to the filter pump and drill a hole just below where the clamp is so water still has a way out and doesn't backflow into and damage the filter. I still need to order the clamp though haha. But I'm hoping it will help with reducing that pull as well.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
I also have one of my tanks, also an Aqueon Evolve 2, unplugged for the same reason. Even if I have the filter flow at it's lowest, the pull is still too much for my longfinned VT, Tango. I was told that I can order an aquarium hose clamp and clamp it on the hose to the filter pump and drill a hole just below where the clamp is so water still has a way out and doesn't backflow into and damage the filter. I still need to order the clamp though haha. But I'm hoping it will help with reducing that pull as well.
That or I think this idea would work. A gentleman posted the same thing about the Fluval Spec Nano tank.....which has similar filtration system. ANyway there is a hose valve you can buy, but it may require you cutting the rubber outtake hose to fit this valve. I know with the fluval it would work but I was afraid to cut my fluval's out take hose as I plan to resell mine. Its a great tank but I have upgraded and moved on. I still have the valve though. More info can be read on the first comment rating the product.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop...9606820&sr=1-1
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #4 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
Yeah I will probably look into the hose clamp, since it's a little less invasive (and I can't mess anything up) haha. It's a nice tank, but wish the filtration wasn't so powerful.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
That or I think this idea would work. A gentleman posted the same thing about the Fluval Spec Nano tank.....which has similar filtration system. ANyway there is a hose valve you can buy, but it may require you cutting the rubber outtake hose to fit this valve. I know with the fluval it would work but I was afraid to cut my fluval's out take hose as I plan to resell mine. Its a great tank but I have upgraded and moved on. I still have the valve though. More info can be read on the first comment rating the product.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Desktop...9606820&sr=1-1
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 
Thunderloon

Don't bother with those "fixes" just get a sponge for a larger Aquaclear filter and attach it in front of the skimmer slots.

Ive got a fluval spec and looked at the early Aqueon tanks and of the two I think the Aqueon is a little better engineered even though the 2gal I looked at had a seven millimeter miss-fit between the clear and black lids that allowed the clear lid to fall in. Looks like Aqueon retro-fitted all shipped stock with lids that have a hook on the front to keep it from happening. The 2gal spec has insufficient space for the pump and too many overflow skim slots. The amount of flow that the little pump with the Spec can produce is stifled even further by having to wedge it in the space available. I'm severely concerned about stressing the glass itself when I put it in. The spec is a marvelous tank and quite effective, just fill in both the gaps in the big rear sponge with more sponge and it'll perform well. One of these days a company other than Penn-Plax and Marineland will figure out how carbon actually works.

Both these systems can be made 100% better by adding in a half inch thick medium density (like the pre-filters in fluval canisters) sponge that covers the front of the skimmer slots.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-18-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Don't bother with those "fixes" just get a sponge for a larger Aquaclear filter and attach it in front of the skimmer slots.

Ive got a fluval spec and looked at the early Aqueon tanks and of the two I think the Aqueon is a little better engineered even though the 2gal I looked at had a seven millimeter miss-fit between the clear and black lids that allowed the clear lid to fall in. Looks like Aqueon retro-fitted all shipped stock with lids that have a hook on the front to keep it from happening. The 2gal spec has insufficient space for the pump and too many overflow skim slots. The amount of flow that the little pump with the Spec can produce is stifled even further by having to wedge it in the space available. I'm severely concerned about stressing the glass itself when I put it in. The spec is a marvelous tank and quite effective, just fill in both the gaps in the big rear sponge with more sponge and it'll perform well. One of these days a company other than Penn-Plax and Marineland will figure out how carbon actually works.

Both these systems can be made 100% better by adding in a half inch thick medium density (like the pre-filters in fluval canisters) sponge that covers the front of the skimmer slots.
Hey Thunderloon, I have the spec nano and find the filter to be awesome on mine. The only downfall to the filter on mine is its a b*tch to get the pump to fit in such a compact area, and I can't stand the lid. The lid on mine came a little bowed when I took it out of the box. I do think the pumps current is a little too strong for my halfmoon betta but my brothers delta tail has no problems with the current so maybe my halfmoon just has too much tail? The major flaw of this tank is the lighting in my opinion. I am not a fan for how this tanks clip on led light doesn't have a protective covering over the led's, so you must make sure water isn't bubbling up to reach the bulbs or face a possible a shock of your life I assume. Also of late, my Fluval led light has leds that have gone out or twinkle like they are going to go out. So I assume I got a defective light that I have to call Fluval about replacing being this tank is 3 months to almost 4 months old. The led's should not be going out already.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinAndBloo View Post
Thanks for your help!
No problem!! =)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:

Would adding a sponge reduce the pull of the intake? And do you mean something like this? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754144
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #10 
Tappy4me

Quote:

Good idea for that part! I'll have to do that...but I still have to do the other fix I mentioned, as the smallest flow still whips my poor Tango around his tank like a sailboat lol.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, evolve, filter