Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #31 
thekoimaiden

My goldfish are pretty big. It's funny to see people's reactions when they actually see how large goldfish get with proper care. My boyfriend always seems to forget just how large they are.

I was just outside with my koi today watching the snow. They are all between 12 and 18 inches long. I've heard of koi that have been bred to be larger but never bred to be smaller. lol You could in theory keep one in a 500 gal tank, but koi are social creatures and do best in schools. Another problem with keeping them in tanks is that koi were bred to be viewed from the top in ponds. They actually look rather funny when viewed from the side.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #32 
blueridge

Haha I've seen the really big ones on Youtube and it always shocks me. I didn't realize some of them could get that big.

Koi actually get that big? I guess that makes sense since they are always in ponds.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #33 
thekoimaiden

My goldies were about the size of the ones you see in the store when I bought them. Man have they put on weight! Most people don't realized a lot of the fish you see in the store are babies less than a year old. Things like oscars, silver dollars, and goldfish will be almost double that size when they are adults.

Koi get huge. 12 inches is actually on the small side for a koi. My 12 inch one is the youngest. I can expect him to get around 24 inches before he'll stop growing. They all should top out around that size. I think the largest koi on record was close to 4 feet long. They are another fish that is sold as a baby in the story yet can easily double its size in under a year.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #34 
blueridge

Wow I didn't realize most fish were that young in stores, I mean I have heard stories but I never figured...I'm glad I'm sticking with bettas and have done/still doing research for them. So keeping a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank would probably be bad then? I know someone who did and they had problems with their tank, the goldfish kept going through bouts of some type of fungus.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #35 
thekoimaiden

Oh ya. They mostly sell babies at stores. It's the same way with cats and dogs. It's an economics thing.

I'm pretty sure keeping a goldfish in a 5 gal bowl will cause a lot of problems. Stunting being the first that comes to mind and ammonia poisoning the second. That probably was why your friend had so much trouble. For people with a little room, bettas are the best fish. ^-^
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #36 
blueridge

Well then...thank for the info I will let my friend know that.