Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 
rckstr1253

So I am getting a 10 gallon tank

The question I have being that I am pretty new to having a fish tank over 2 gallons, how long will it most likely take to get my 10 gallon cycled. I am having a problem with keeping the water safe for my betta's in the 2 gallon tank each is in thanks to a car accident I was in november(can't do any heavy lfiting), so i am thinking about splitting a 10 gallon tank into 2 or 4......not sure yet, as that would help to keep strain of my body as I heal. Any ideas?
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
JKfish

Oh my gosh, accidents in cars can be so scary! I hope you get better...

With cycling, it honestly depends. My very first 10 gallon took about a month to cycle, but my second one took about two weeks because I seeded it with filter media from my first one. If you have any fish keeping friends close by with sucessfully cycled tanks, you can dramatically cut down the ammount of time needed to cycle your tank if they allow you to toss in a piece of filter foam into their tank for about a day or two (this gives the benificial bacteria time to cling to it) before adding it to your filter.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Oh my gosh, accidents in cars can be so scary! I hope you get better...

With cycling, it honestly depends. My very first 10 gallon took about a month to cycle, but my second one took about two weeks because I seeded it with filter media from my first one. If you have any fish keeping friends close by with sucessfully cycled tanks, you can dramatically cut down the ammount of time needed to cycle your tank if they allow you to toss in a piece of filter foam into their tank for about a day or two (this gives the benificial bacteria time to cling to it) before adding it to your filter.
Thanks for the well wishes! =) I am grateful I walked away with neck and back pains as I should of been thrown from the car....but I got lucky.

Hmmm would the filter floss from my 2 gallon tanks that are healthy work? I have managed to keep the parameters stable in my 2 gallon tanks for a few months now.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
JKfish

It most certainly couldn't hurt to try :D
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
It most certainly couldn't hurt to try :D
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I originally bought a 5 gallon tnak to split between 2 betta's but the upkeep of so many tanks is taking a toll and petsmart has the 10 gallon marineland with led top on sale for $70......so I am going to exchange the sealed 5 gallon tetra crescent tank I bought and add the difference for the ten gallon. I figures I like the crescent tank, but the opening at top is kind of big and with snails they would be climbing out, and I am not a fan of the clip on LED lighting. The way this one clips on is with screws and I could see myself accidently puncturing the plastic tank. Also, the water would evaporate a lot easier.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 
rckstr1253

So I am leaning on getting the 10 gallon marineland led tank and dividing it into 3 or 4 as I have 4 betta's but I don't know if that would work well or if I should pass on the 10 gallon and get 2 of these 5 gallon hawkeye tanks sold at walmart and split them for 2 betta's per tank.....or get one ten gallon and split it into 2 and the 5 gallon into 2. What would you recommend?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 
JKfish

All of the choices are good ones, it just depends on what you are looking for. With the 10 gallon divided four ways, it can sometimes looks a little crowded and messy if not done with care. However, you only have to do one water change a week (though it'd have to be 50-75% of the water), and you only need one filter and one heater. 2 of the hawkeyes would also be nice, and it'd give the illusion of more space and water, however you'd have two tanks to maintain and monitor as opposed to one. With the 5 gallon divided and the 10 gallon divided, again, they'd both look nice, however you'd be using technically more water to maintain 15 total gallons of water.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 
rckstr1253

Okay, so I went with the marineland 10 gallon led tank......and I love it. My only question is since I will be dividing it to fit 4 betta fish, would it be better to also put a corner filter on the far end of the tank or will my penguin 100 filter filtrate the whole tank fine even with the dividers in place?

Also, I set up my EBI fluval tank. It's the shrimp version that they sell. Being that it was used, is it ok to use the black subtrate the other guy used that came with the tank in the kit, or is it better to get my own. Being that this will be an all snail tank, is it better to use the small colored gravel like I have been using or do I have to swap to another substrate? I plan to have some plants in the tank as well so I don't know what's a better subtrate to use. Finally, the tank came with a fluval ebi filter, but being it was used is it worth buying the replacement filter foam and carbon or just buying a different filter? I was thinking about using a corner filter but what do you guys think?

thanks for any advice! Ohh and just checking, does anyone have any beginner plant clippings I could buy off of you to get my tank started. I can't afford a lot being I am still on disability thanks to a car accident, but I wouldn't mind paying a fair price. I went to buy a few plants at Petco near me but the plants look brown and dying.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 
bettafish15

I would not divide a 10g into 4, 3 is the max IMO. That leaves very little horizontal swimming space which bettas enjoy, and just little space in general. Stick to 3 dividers, and maybe just keep one betta in a 2g. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #10 
rckstr1253

Yea maybe I can do that