Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #1 
freemike

Betta First Aid?

I know you people are probably sick of me. But guess what I'm going to make another thread anyways lol. I recently acquired two Betta fish. They are fine as far as I can tell; even though I'm not to hopeful as I'm trying to cycle their tanks. It will be a miracle if they live. I'm being as diligent as me and my wallet can to give them a good life.

So I know at some point they may become ill and I want to be prepared. What do you guys recommend for a good hospital tank set up? Also what are good medications and remedies to have? I know about the aq and epsom salt, not really sure when to use them.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

As far as setup goes, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 1g for each fish; 2-2.5g otherwise so you can properly heat it, especially for those times when you need something warmer than 80 degrees . You don't really want to go too big 'cause you'll end up doing 100% water changes anyway- you'll just end up wasting a lot of time and effort if you did...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

If my fish is the only thing in the tank, I tend to just use that tank as the hopital tank.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 
callistra

2.5g and a good adjustable heater like 25w Marineland Visitherm or Hydor Theo. That's all you need for a hospital tank. If you want to cycle it I suggest a 5g and sponge filter but not necessary.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

^ agreed. ... including plants- some medications can effect them apparently >.>;;....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote