Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #11 
Youseph

Water Change
Tonight I plan to change out at least 25% of the water from my Betta's tank. This will be my first water change. I have had my Betta for three days and after adding a cup for him to hide in last night the water became rather cloudy from all the dirt I stirred up. I will let you know know how it goes.

If anyone has any advice I am all ears.
Youseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #12 
SlinkyInk

When I first got my betta I was feeding him about 8-9 pellets twice a day. But I started reading more and more info on this forum and realized I was feeding him way too much. So I now feed him about 3 pellets in the morning, a small bit of brine shrimp in the afternoon and another 3 pellets in the evening before bed. I don't want to overfeed him and have him bloat up.

I mainly feed brine shrimp as a treat. Plus, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the shrimp, but the very next day after I started with the brine shrimp he started making bubble nests. And he's made a bubble nest every day since, which tells me he's happy :)
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

Water changes are pretty basic. Just make sure that your hands are clean so nothing icky gets in the new water, add the conditioner and slowly accumate the fish to the new water so if the temps are different, he won't go into shock

I just left Alaska last month after 12 years. I do NOT recommend driving out in wintertime Anyways, since fairbanks was pretty limited and freakin expensive, try searching ebay for decor and heaters. I got about 10 heaters (I had 23 bettas when I lived in fairbanks) off ebay for less then 1/2 the price of Petco in Fairbanks. You may have to search for a while but eventually one will pop up with decent shipping. Alot of my decor came from sellers in china. Again, their stuff was cheaper then anything locally and some of them ship free internationally (however there is one seller that will NOT ship to AK or HI). All my bettas love the sillicon anemoneas - you may want to pick up one for your guy. It so cute when they try and wiggle their way inisde of it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 
Youseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyInk View Post
When I first got my betta I was feeding him about 8-9 pellets twice a day. But I started reading more and more info on this forum and realized I was feeding him way too much. So I now feed him about 3 pellets in the morning, a small bit of brine shrimp in the afternoon and another 3 pellets in the evening before bed. I don't want to overfeed him and have him bloat up.
It sounds like, if anything, I am underfeeding him now. About 4 pellets a day. two in the morning and two in the evening. Tomorrow I am going to give him his first BLOOD WORM.

Quote:
I mainly feed brine shrimp as a treat. Plus, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the shrimp, but the very next day after I started with the brine shrimp he started making bubble nests. And he's made a bubble nest every day since, which tells me he's happy :)
No Bubbles for me yet. He "burps" under water every now and then and bubbles float to the surface, but thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Water changes are pretty basic. Just make sure that your hands are clean so nothing icky gets in the new water, add the conditioner and slowly accumate the fish to the new water so if the temps are different, he won't go into shock
I got the first water change done and I think I did about 50% of the tank. The tool i got to help, the gravity water pump, though cool, was way to big for the tank and did not work. I just pulled the attachent off and used the tubing to get the water out. Worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I just left Alaska last month after 12 years. I do NOT recommend driving out in wintertime Anyways, since fairbanks was pretty limited and freakin expensive, try searching ebay for decor and heaters. I got about 10 heaters (I had 23 bettas when I lived in fairbanks) off ebay for less then 1/2 the price of Petco in Fairbanks. You may have to search for a while but eventually one will pop up with decent shipping. Alot of my decor came from sellers in china. Again, their stuff was cheaper then anything locally and some of them ship free internationally (however there is one seller that will NOT ship to AK or HI). All my bettas love the sillicon anemoneas - you may want to pick up one for your guy. It so cute when they try and wiggle their way inisde of it.
Thanks for the advice! I love the idea of the Sillicon Anemoneas, but I think i am suffering from not having a big enough tank. Not for Betta Max, but for me. I don't know how best to solve that. I am so worried about how much space a bigger tank will take up. How ugly it might look with power cords and dealing with water changes. I guess that is the next thing I need to research. Aquarium tank setups/management.

But the water change went well. Probably do another one tomorrow. He is still eating well. Seems really happy and I need to come up with some games for the guy to keep him occupied.

Again I want to thank everyone for all their help and advice. :)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #15 
Aus

I have found the Dymax IQ5 quite a good home for Sid - I have issues with keeping larger tanks, as I worry I can't physically take care of them properly. The IQ5 is acrylic and light to lift even with a little water still in it. It's around 3.5 gallons all up, and square, so fits most anywhere, and is also quite attractive in design. Sid seems really happy in it, though I think it's important to have 'interactive' decor a fish may want to explore a lot - floater plants, moss, hidey spaces - as there's not a lot of horizontal swim space. I find Sid has no trouble keeping himself busy in all that.

The tank (heater extra) isn't cheap, though. But it works so well for me, I don't mind the cost.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #16 
Laki

Don't worry about the bubble nest thing. In my memory of bettas I have owned in the past and now Bowser is the only one who gives me daily bubbles. Lakitu was obviously very happy with the life I gave him but he too would "burp" one or two bubbles. Nothing to ever make a nest with. The process of bubble nests is a different one too. I videotaped Bowser making his nest <3<3
What I mean to say, not alll betta wil make bubble nests. For unknown reasons really. But it doesn't mean you are not providing a good home!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #17 
Youseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I have found the Dymax IQ5 quite a good home for Sid - I have issues with keeping larger tanks, as I worry I can't physically take care of them properly. The IQ5 is acrylic and light to lift even with a little water still in it. It's around 3.5 gallons all up, and square, so fits most anywhere, and is also quite attractive in design. Sid seems really happy in it, though I think it's important to have 'interactive' decor a fish may want to explore a lot - floater plants, moss, hidey spaces - as there's not a lot of horizontal swim space. I find Sid has no trouble keeping himself busy in all that.

The tank (heater extra) isn't cheap, though. But it works so well for me, I don't mind the cost.
I will take some time and look into the Dymax IQ5 for sure. My biggest issues is space. I want a bigger tank, I just don't know where I can put one that will work in my home. I hope that once I finish my Home Theater project I will have some space next to my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Don't worry about the bubble nest thing. In my memory of bettas I have owned in the past and now Bowser is the only one who gives me daily bubbles. Lakitu was obviously very happy with the life I gave him but he too would "burp" one or two bubbles. Nothing to ever make a nest with. The process of bubble nests is a different one too. I videotaped Bowser making his nest <3<3
What I mean to say, not alll betta wil make bubble nests. For unknown reasons really. But it doesn't mean you are not providing a good home!

I am not going to lose sleep over the bubble next. Betta Max seems rather happy the way things are.

FEEDING (Pellets and Blood Worms)

This long weekend went well. Feeding Betta Max on average 4 food pellets a day. Two in the morning and two in the evening. The guy begs for more, but I don't want to over feed him. One of the days during this long weekend I feed Betta Max 3 Blood Worms for dinner. I cut off a small chunk of the blood worms and let them thaw out in a shot glass of water. Using tweezers i picked up three and feed them to Max one at a time. He acted like he really enjoyed them.

WATER FILM

I have noticed a slight film across the top of the water of Betta Max's tank. If I where to guess (and this is only a guess) I would think it is the result of one evening early on when he was not eating giving him flak food. But I just don't know.

WATER Cycle/change?

I did another 25% water cycle/change. No issues. I think I am going to do a whole tank change soon though. Not looking forward to that.

KINDER SURPRISE EGGS

When you open up a Kinder Surprise Eggs for the toy, the toy is normally held inside a plastic shell. I took this yellow plastic shell and washed it off and put it in Betta Max's tank. It floats on the top and Betta Max Swam around it several times. I noticed this morning that he sleeps under it now. In the lack of a hammock leaf, the Kinder Egg does pretty well.

GENERAL

In general I am shocked at how playful and smart Betta Max is. I was not expecting this. He needs more things to play with and hid in inside of his tank which is why I would like to get him a bigger one.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their help and advice :)
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #18 
Laki

The Kinder egg is a fine toy! I have a wine cork in with Bowser. Ludey's lame and won't be impressed with anything like that.
The water film is most likely protein from the food and is fine. Just lay a paper towel on top, it lifts it right off! I break the surface of the water with a cup for mine. I don't use filters and generally this happens in non-filtered tanks and tanks with no surface obstruction.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #19 
SlinkyInk

Oh, I wish we could get Kinder Eggs here. They are illegal in the USA.
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #20 
Youseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
The Kinder egg is a fine toy! I have a wine cork in with Bowser. Ludey's lame and won't be impressed with anything like that.
The water film is most likely protein from the food and is fine. Just lay a paper towel on top, it lifts it right off! I break the surface of the water with a cup for mine. I don't use filters and generally this happens in non-filtered tanks and tanks with no surface obstruction.
That paper towel tip is great! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Oh, I wish we could get Kinder Eggs here. They are illegal in the USA.
Kinder Eggs are illegal in the united states for the same ridicules reason we can not longer by a generation one Optimus Prime Transformer with smoke stacks anymore. It's just ridicules. The good news is I have found a Canadian company that has been shipping me my supply of Kinder Eggs here in the US. The Dutch Market. Enjoy :)

TANK CHANGE

My game plan today is that on my way home to stop at the pet store and pick up a few more plants for Betta Max and try NOT to buy a bigger tank for him. Tonight I am going to do his first tank cleaning. Remove Betta Max from the tank and clean everything out. Wish me luck!