Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #11 
watergale

thanks, i do have a new question though, the tank has a small layer of water and sand at the bottem about a inch and a half thick, how would i go about cleaning out such a large tank? can't lift it, how should i get all the stuff out and sterilize it?
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #12 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergale View Post
thanks, i do have a new question though, the tank has a small layer of water and sand at the bottem about a inch and a half thick, how would i go about cleaning out such a large tank? can't lift it, how should i get all the stuff out and sterilize it?
I'm afraid you're going to have to scoop. After its out, just get a sponge or a soft scrub brush and wash it out real good. I wouldn't use anything harsher than a vinegar/water rinse. You might want to set it up and run it for a few days with freshwater, then drain it out and refill before you add any plants or critters.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 
watergale

:P dang i was hoping there was an easier way, seing as i dont know how long this stuff was sitting in the tank before i got it, i just hope it doesn't smell too bad :(
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #14 
inareverie85

Why not do a bit of research on planted tanks and go that route? You can make DIY CO2 and change those bulbs out for 6500-6700k ones. :)

Your sorority would probably appreciate some plants.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #15 
kfryman

I would suggest plants, maybe even a NPT, I have one, so much easier. There are less water changes, ask OFL her 55 gallon gets 4-5 water changes a year, that is after the tank matures though.

You will need organic dirt, lots of stem plants (enough to fill 75% of the tank floor) and floating plants. I would suggest talking to OFL before, if you do go down this path.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote