Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
TheJadeBetta

Question Petco Baby Betta Questions? -Bloated and larger tank--

I got a Petco "Baby" Betta a few days ago. He/she is a great and has a voracious appetite. And he measures at about 2 inches. Well, he is bloated now. What can I do for him? I am going to fast him for a couple of days. I also was thinking some Aquarium Salt wouldn't hurt.

Also, would he be fine in a this tank?

5 gallon Aquarium
Bare Bottom
Elite Heater 25 Watt
Tetra 10i Whisper Internal Power Filter with Filter Floss (I am planning on putting panty hose over the intake part.)
Fake Silk Plants
Multicolored Stone Cave

I am worried about the size of it.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 
Sakura8

The tank is good. :) To help with the bloating, you can put 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon in and try feeding frozen brine shrimp.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
earthworm88

Sounds like a lovely home!

It also begs the question: why is he bloated? Are you overfeeding?

Just curious, mine mostly run in the vicinity of 2 inches (or a bit more), but they are definitely not babies though. How is yours a baby?

BTW, the betta in your avatar Rose is gorgeous!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
Myates

AQ salt can actually cause bloating to become worse- definitely as recommended, Epsom Salt.

I personally would fast for a day or two first, otherwise it's what was said- 1 tsp per gallon, daily 100% water changes, and shouldn't take more then a couple days.

If they are labeled as "baby bettas" and are small- they can be tricky. 2 inches is actually quite big so you may not have one of the true "baby bettas".. or one that had grown quite larger then the siblings. The babies tend to need a little more care, especially when it comes to food- very small meals multiple times a day is ideal to prevent bloating. Live foods and special baby foods like bbs is ideal for true babies. Is there a way to get a picture up of him/her?

Sadly, some of those babies are too small for the average keeper because their needs demand more then the older ones. I would look into getting live/baby foods for now.. New Life Spectrum has a baby formula, I believe it's called Growth Formula- it's good for the very young fish who need more protein and such.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
The tank is good. :) To help with the bloating, you can put 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon in and try feeding frozen brine shrimp.
Okay thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Sounds like a lovely home!

It also begs the question: why is he bloated? Are you overfeeding?

Just curious, mine mostly run in the vicinity of 2 inches (or a bit more), but they are definitely not babies though. How is yours a baby?

BTW, the betta in your avatar Rose is gorgeous!
Thank you! I believe I am overfeeding him. I am use to my Jewel Fry. They eat and eat. I also believe he is very thing for a betta. I measure him again and he is about 1 in. to 1.2 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
AQ salt can actually cause bloating to become worse- definitely as recommended, Epsom Salt.

I personally would fast for a day or two first, otherwise it's what was said- 1 tsp per gallon, daily 100% water changes, and shouldn't take more then a couple days.

If they are labeled as "baby bettas" and are small- they can be tricky. 2 inches is actually quite big so you may not have one of the true "baby bettas".. or one that had grown quite larger then the siblings. The babies tend to need a little more care, especially when it comes to food- very small meals multiple times a day is ideal to prevent bloating. Live foods and special baby foods like bbs is ideal for true babies. Is there a way to get a picture up of him/her?

Sadly, some of those babies are too small for the average keeper because their needs demand more then the older ones. I would look into getting live/baby foods for now.. New Life Spectrum has a baby formula, I believe it's called Growth Formula- it's good for the very young fish who need more protein and such.

Thank you! He was labled a "Baby" betta. I have been keeping bettas for about 3 to 4 years now. I thought I would give it a shot.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 
TheJadeBetta

Well I added the Epsom salt. He has colored up, but still have floating problems. But I don't expect it to get 100% better in just a day.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #7 
TheJadeBetta

Well, the booger is in the 5 gallon with some Epsom salt. He pooped a little and he isn't as bloated as he was. He is all over then tank, but he is his still having floating problems. But not as bad as he was. Pictures of him are coming soon!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Well, he/she is getting better and better. Not as bloated as she/he was.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #9 
TheJadeBetta

Another Update! The little guy has really gained some color. But he is still having floating problems. Should I try some Daphnia or just continue waiting it out?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #10 
TheJadeBetta

Anyone?