Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #1 
jaela

Hello from a new owner!

Hey there friends! My name is Jami Jo, currently attending school in Santa Barbara, CA, and I recently got a betta to keep me company in my lonely little room in the residence hall. =']

She is, I think, a female plakat -- or else a very short-finned male. Pretty sure she's a girl, though, and I've named her Ann.

She is in a 2-gallon tank all to herself at the moment with some fake plants and a little rock cave, but I'm planning to buy a larger tank for her this weekend so that I can maybe add tankmates later -- I'm thinking maybe otocinclus because I've had some experience caring for them and like them a lot.

Ann's my first betta, and I'm absolutely delighted at how active and responsive she is! I've never had a fish who was quite so fun to have around and interact with, so I may just be hooked for life!

Anyway, I've been lurking here and reading threads for a while, so I thought I'd go ahead and join up. Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 
Termato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaela View Post
Hey there friends! My name is Jami Jo, currently attending school in Santa Barbara, CA, and I recently got a betta to keep me company in my lonely little room in the residence hall. =']

She is, I think, a female plakat -- or else a very short-finned male. Pretty sure she's a girl, though, and I've named her Ann.

She is in a 2-gallon tank all to herself at the moment with some fake plants and a little rock cave, but I'm planning to buy a larger tank for her this weekend so that I can maybe add tankmates later -- I'm thinking maybe otocinclus because I've had some experience caring for them and like them a lot.

Ann's my first betta, and I'm absolutely delighted at how active and responsive she is! I've never had a fish who was quite so fun to have around and interact with, so I may just be hooked for life!

Anyway, I've been lurking here and reading threads for a while, so I thought I'd go ahead and join up. Looking forward to getting to know all of you!
You should post your tank and pictures so we can see!!

I got my first beta too. His name is Max. I only have a 1 gallon tank for him. He will soon get a new home with some small friends :).
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 
jaela

Sure thing, I'll add a picture or two to the first post! =]

What friends are you thinking of for your guy?

[edit]
Never mind, looks like I can't edit the other post, bother. Here are a couple pictures of my girl at home:

I don't think you can see it here, but she looks like she has a little smile on her face when viewed from the side! Which was why I chose her. I actually went in there expecting to get a male betta, but I fell in love with her instead. <3

Last edited by jaela; 02-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #4 
Termato

Quote:
Sure thing, I'll add a picture or two to the first post! =]

What friends are you thinking of for your guy?
I had ghost shrimp in there and he ate one and killed the other.

I was thinking oto's or a snail....
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
jaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
I had ghost shrimp in there and he ate one and killed the other.

I was thinking oto's or a snail....
Ah, sorry about your shrimps. Otos are really cute and fun to have, so I'd recommend them! Really looking forward to having some with my girl once I get her new tank, which should be today. Hopefully she will ignore/get along with them, because she does tend to act a tad bit aggressive sometimes.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 
CarmanDirda

Looking at your pictures, she's a female veiltail. Also, I hope you're doing routive half water changes a week with that small a home for her. ;)

Bettas can be harder than other fish to take care of, and there are a lot of myths out there about proper care. They like big homes, of course, and any tankmates should be chosen carefully. Make sure you research and don't overcrowd just because it's a larger tank.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #7 
jaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
Looking at your pictures, she's a female veiltail. Also, I hope you're doing routive half water changes a week with that small a home for her. ;)

Bettas can be harder than other fish to take care of, and there are a lot of myths out there about proper care. They like big homes, of course, and any tankmates should be chosen carefully. Make sure you research and don't overcrowd just because it's a larger tank.
Oh, thanks so much! Glad to have that confirmed.

I'm doing 50% water changes once a week, yes -- and since it's such a small tank, I'm going to pick up a bigger one for her today, and she'll be moved in there once I cycle it. I've heard good things about homing bettas and otos together (mainly that a betta will mostly ignore the otos, which is what I'm hpoing for!) but I'll be sure to be really careful about moving anything in there with her especially because she's a little aggressive.

Until I'm sure about the tankmate thing, she'll have a 15 gallon tank all to herself, so hopefully she'll be quite happy in there!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 
Termato

Quote:
Oh, thanks so much! Glad to have that confirmed.

I'm doing 50% water changes once a week, yes -- and since it's such a small tank, I'm going to pick up a bigger one for her today, and she'll be moved in there once I cycle it. I've heard good things about homing bettas and otos together (mainly that a betta will mostly ignore the otos, which is what I'm hpoing for!) but I'll be sure to be really careful about moving anything in there with her especially because she's a little aggressive.

Until I'm sure about the tankmate thing, she'll have a 15 gallon tank all to herself, so hopefully she'll be quite happy in there!
Wouldn't the tankmates have a better chance of not being attacked if they were introduced before the beta?

I don't really know much on that subject, just thought I would put that idea out there.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #9 
jaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Wouldn't the tankmates have a better chance of not being attacked if they were introduced before the beta?

I don't really know much on that subject, just thought I would put that idea out there.
Hmm, you may be right -- I'll have to think about that one and do a bit of research. Either way I want to cycle the tank first so I've got some time to work it out, but this is a good point, thanks for bringing that up!

[edit]
I think I'll go and make a thread in the compatibility subforum and get some opinions on this.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #10 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Does your dorm allow that size tank? Mine allows a maximum of one 10 gallon tank.
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote