Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #1 
GreyCheyenne

delta tail x vt

What fin type would I get if I bred my delta male with my vt female (she has longer fins than normal for a female).
GreyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Veil Tail is dominant. You'll probably get veil tails, but if your female has delta in her background, you might get deltas too.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #3 
betta lover1507

VT is very dominant, and letting the female have the VT gene isn't a good idea since the female is more dominant in finnage and male is more dominant in color. i did a DTxVT spawn before too my first success, i still have a fry from the spawn (he's stunted :( ) i would rather go with atleast a CT female, but it is your choice :) we can't force you, also long fins are dominant too so you would get some long finned fry
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
VT is very dominant, and letting the female have the VT gene isn't a good idea since the female is more dominant in finnage and male is more dominant in color. i did a DTxVT spawn before too my first success, i still have a fry from the spawn (he's stunted :( ) i would rather go with atleast a CT female, but it is your choice :) we can't force you, also long fins are dominant too so you would get some long finned fry
Where did you hear, or read this? I have never heard something like this. I'm a little iffy about it as well. An article would be a great reference.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta

^+1. I've never heard that before.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i heard actually in this forum and there was a log about electra and uhh i forgot the male's name i think it was punki am not sure, most of that user's spawn was CT (as the mother finnage) and this kind of multi color (i think it was multi, but as the father's color)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i heard actually in this forum and there was a log about electra and uhh i forgot the male's name i think it was punki am not sure, most of that user's spawn was CT (as the mother finnage) and this kind of multi color (i think it was multi, but as the father's color)
I see where that could take play, but that I only one spawn out of millions. I would say to check around before spreading this because it can lead to something you would have never thought of. No it isn't a bad thing, but it might just be wrong so really try to get some proof.

Don't take it as I don't believe what YOU usually say, just I'm a very unsure about that.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #8 
LittleBeta

Would Vailtail still be dominate if you breed it with a half moon or crown tail?
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #9 
tpocicat

Yes, veil tail is dominant over all other tail types. The only way you could get something else is if the veil tail carries the genetics for other tail types.
Also, I believe that bettas get an equal amount of what they turn out to be from both parents.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Female dominant for form - this is a widely accepted belief, incl. myself (I don't know of any scientific reference - only experience). I tend to suggest a better quality female (fin wise) compared to the male's. Specially when breeding HM, HMCT, and HMPK. I would only suggest a poor quality female if the male is a rose tail.

Up to this point, I have never produced good quality fry by using poor quality females. But have produced a fair amount of quality by using better females.

But this also depends on their genetic background. How strong is the female's genes - was she a product of true breeding or a lucky fluke. The same goes for the male.

Though it is widely accepted that males are dominant for color, I do not share the same belief. IMO color genes are equal - depends on their genetic background and which color genes are dominant. I have produced colors similar to the female rather than the male..... also experience based.

To answer the OP's question: VT are 2 rayed and dominant (less rays are dominant over multiple rays). Plus the fact that the VT is a female. So you would probably end up with mostly VT. You may also get round tails and a few delta's.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote