Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #11 
Chesterthebetta

Thank you! :) I think I might talk about it to my former biology teacher. He seemed to collect pets, haha. He also went really into detail with the stages and complexity of life, and I do believe we talked about betta, so it would be cool for him to have one :)
Chesterthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #12 
Aus

Awesome! Let me know how it goes.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #13 
Chesterthebetta

I will for sure :D
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #14 
CarmanDirda

I had a similiar problem with a betta I bought from PetSmart. Turned out to be a type of fungus, and the meds they suggested were useless. The meds seemed to work at first, for him and the other fish in his community tank (who sadly caught it from him), but then they all died, one by one. I only have 3 survivors from that tank, after trying everything. I lost 10 fish to it.

Surprisingly - while I would definately look into meds - I realized added aquarium salt to their tanks helped more than anything. I separated them all from eachother into smaller "hospital" tanks and made sure to watch them, feed them regularly, clean the bowls twice as much as usual. I always put salt in the tanks with every water change, and it seemed to keep them healthy. But to keep it from coming back, you'll have to soak and hand wash everything (no soap, just your hands and maybe a clean rag) or he'll get it again and again until it's too late to save him.

Also, make sure you change the filter, because it may hold traces of the sickness and release it back into the water, even if it isn't really dirty.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #15 
Chesterthebetta

Thanks for the advice. I did clean everything, including the filter. I scrubbed it with hot water and a rag, and also soaked it. If the betta revive doesn't help by the end of this week, I'm definitely trying aquarium salt. I'll let you know how things go!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #16 
Chesterthebetta

My bubbler was my problem?!

Hello all. So I unplugged chesters bubble filter when I was blow drying my hair and he STOPPED ITCHING!? I mean he's still rubbing on the glass a little, but not like a frantic phsyco fish. Could the bubbler have been my problem? And if so why did he start turning white?!