Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 
whoiam

Newbie here--Soon to move betta from bowl to tank--Advice?

Long story as short as possible: My husband and son went to the pet store and came home with a 1+ gallon bowl, gravel, a few decorations and a FISH, all at once. This was a few weeks ago.

Fast forward through many rescue efforts, Blue Star (named by my 7-yr-old) is as healthy as can be in a small space that I can't heat over 75 degrees. He's a champ.

Now I have a 6-gallon tank nearly set up and I'm doing a fishless cycle, but I'm still concerned about making the transition when the time comes.

I have bacteria starter, but I'd also like to introduce bacteria from the current bowl into the new tank, but that's not really an option because I removed the "plants" (plastic and possibly tearing Blue Star's fins) and all that's left is the gravel and his little house--I don't want to take any of that away from him!

So finally my main question:

What if I do partial water changes in the bowl for a few days (once the new tank is fully cycled) but instead of using "new" water, I swap water from his current bowl to the new tank and vice versa?

Is there any risk using tank water in a bowl with no filter like that? I'm just thinking it would help him get acclimated to the water he'll be in when he moves.

Any and all advice is much appreciated!
whoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #2 
Zero186

For a fish in a 1 gallon bowl you would want to be doing 100% water changes pretty often which doesn't allow for the production of the bacteria that you are working to get in the 6gallon. when the time comes to move him make sure the tank is fully cycled and I would just acclimating him slowing over the course of 30 mins using water form the new tank.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #3 
whoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero186 View Post
I would just acclimating him slowing over the course of 30 mins using water form the new tank.
Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean add tank water to his bowl over a period of time?

What you say about the bowl not having much bacteria makes sense. I just want to be sure I don't shock him.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
Zero186

That bacteria won't effect the fish so as long as your water test are reading 0 it will ok for him. And yes adding water from the tank but I wouldn't use the 1g bowl bc thats a lot of water so maybe the cup he came in or something similar. Also do you have a heater for the 6 gallon?
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #5 
whoiam

OK, thanks!

Yes, I have a 50-watt heater with adjustable thermostat. I'll have to take the new tank temp down a little (from the cycling temp) since I just CAN'T get the bowl temp higher. Then I'll slowly bring it back up to a cozy temp once he's in there.

Fingers crossed! Thanks again.