Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #21 
bellajunkie

I have had him a total of two days...
bellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #22 
bellajunkie

they sure don't and they don't have much sympathy either, told me to bring him in and exchange...I said I don't want another fish...I wanted this one! He is not moving well at all...the water was from a bottle is what a friend told me. I didn't buy him someone bought him for me and brought me him in a bowl...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #23 
callistra

Well if he has columnaris this quick he was sick to begin with. There is likely some ammonia present but really shouldn't be -that- high levels, unless the pet store sold him in the same bowl he was being kept in or transferred a lot of the old water and then the ammonia may be high. Also you really want to use the same water source for a water change.. sounds like you don't have any water to change his bowl on hand if you're not sure the source.

The spring water that comes in bottles for bettas at petsmart and petco are fine. You don't need to add conditioner. Spring drinking water from the grocery store may not be okay. Lots of it does not have appropriate ph for bettas.

Last edited by callistra; 02-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #24 
bellajunkie

RIP Captain Blue Scott 2/21/2012
Thanks for all of your help guys!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #25 
freemike

So sorry to hear about your lost. If you decide to get another one and you do the research taking care of these guys can be a lot of fun when you have the proper tools to give them the environment they need to not only live but thrive.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #26 
Aus

The guy in my local store told me it was "cheaper to buy another fish" than to treat my sick betta (who recovered beautifully). What a total muppet.

Don't be discouraged. It's not your fault you were given a sick fish, and no information on proper care. But now you have the information you need, and a great place to get advice if you decide to try again.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #27 
bellajunkie

Thanks to all for your kind words and advice. We took Captain back to the store and picked out a different one (a different kind too because they were all out of the blue crowntails) I got a larger bowl, although it is not a gallon ( I know I'll have to replace it as well) and a heater with water conditioner and some medicine just in case! Hoping all goes well!! :)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #28 
Aus

The heater and water conditioner will make such a huge difference to your new betta.

If this one becomes ill, though, do check out the various threads here before you medicate, and avoid any meds with -fix on the end as they contain an oil that's potentially harmful to bettas.

I wish you all the best.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #29 
iceyrose

Walmart if there's one in your area holds products with a reasonable price range ...check out there web site. Buying a floating or attachable temmomenter as well as a heater & filter system is a good plan. Make shur the filter & heater are the right size for tank size. Changing the water is the most helpfull thing to ward off illnesses. The bowl size tanks are really not the best for the betta.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote