Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
Rhianon

Red face New to the Betta World

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I've been thinking of adding a betta to my family. The downside is that I don't know what kind of tank would be good for one. I also have two hyperactive kitteens (they aren't kittens, but in their teen stages before turning a year old in April) and I would need a sturdy tank with a lid that they can't get into. Can anyone give me some pointers?
Rhianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

If you want a sturdier tank, I would think of going with 2.5 - 5 gallons. That should give you an aquarium that is heavy enough that it can't be tipped over easily. You should be able to find some good aquarium kits at your local pet store or at Wal-mart.

Things I would recommend to add to your shopping list: A heater, a thermometer, plants (live or silk), and a cave or something that your betta can hide or sleep in.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

You also need to decide glass vs perspex. Glass is, of course, heavier, so harder to tip, but it is more likely to shatter into a gazillion pieces if it does tip. Perspex is lighter and easier to move, but also easier to scratch. You need to weigh the pros and cons and choose what is right for you. :)

With hyperactive cats, I would personally go for a ten gallon. That's 40 kilos of water, give or take, which is pretty hard for a cat to shift (sorry, I don't know what that is in pounds. One litre of water = one kilo, 4 litres per gallon, roughly).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #4 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
You also need to decide glass vs perspex. Glass is, of course, heavier, so harder to tip, but it is more likely to shatter into a gazillion pieces if it does tip. Perspex is lighter and easier to move, but also easier to scratch. You need to weigh the pros and cons and choose what is right for you. :)

With hyperactive cats, I would personally go for a ten gallon. That's 40 kilos of water, give or take, which is pretty hard for a cat to shift (sorry, I don't know what that is in pounds. One litre of water = one kilo, 4 litres per gallon, roughly).

I was thinking of a 10gallon tank. I'll definitely check both types out before I buy one.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #5 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
If you want a sturdier tank, I would think of going with 2.5 - 5 gallons. That should give you an aquarium that is heavy enough that it can't be tipped over easily. You should be able to find some good aquarium kits at your local pet store or at Wal-mart.

Things I would recommend to add to your shopping list: A heater, a thermometer, plants (live or silk), and a cave or something that your betta can hide or sleep in.
Thanks! I will definitely start the search.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 
Ginzuishou

When I started my Betta fish adventure I went out and bought one of those 10 GALLON KITS (includes tank, tank lid, tank light, filter, filter cartridge, food, and water conditioner).

I had to buy gravel (substrate), decorations, heater, and thermometer separately, although some kits include these things.

The 10-Gallon Tank Kit was around 59.00 but many places have sales which reduce the cost considerably. I'd keep a look-out for sales.

After all was said and done, I spent around $300 or more on accessories and supplies. It's a living thing, so gotta treat it right. :)
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzuishou View Post
When I started my Betta fish adventure I went out and bought one of those 10 GALLON KITS (includes tank, tank lid, tank light, filter, filter cartridge, food, and water conditioner).

I had to buy gravel (substrate), decorations, heater, and thermometer separately, although some kits include these things.

The 10-Gallon Tank Kit was around 59.00 but many places have sales which reduce the cost considerably. I'd keep a look-out for sales.

After all was said and done, I spent around $300 or more on accessories and supplies. It's a living thing, so gotta treat it right. :)
Yay! Welcome to the Betta addiction I would also maybe suggest putting the fish tank in a room where you can lock the cats out if they harass the fish Some cats are surprisingly good with fish!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #8 
pasoindy

Hi, I have mine in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Not only is it pretty to look at, IMHO it's as kitty proof as you can get since the opening is small. The opening is almost entirely filled by the light arm which has to be flipped up to access the water. And all this is covered by a sturdy hood. It works quite well as a Betta tank if you leave the water a bit lower than the top. The Betta will also learn where the opening is so it won't hurt if you ever overfill and use the entire "cube". Mine caught on quick because he knows the opening is where the food comes from. It isn't a cheap tank, but it's pretty cat proof.

I can't find the pic where the cat is actually sitting on the tank, but here's what the Edge looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jDqXOOBwL.jpg

Last edited by pasoindy; 02-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #9 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzuishou View Post

I've been searching around and comparing prices from online and in stores. I haven't boughten one yet, but I will definitely will when I get paid next. This paycheck went to bills and rent. Next one is going to go towards a tank and cycling.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #10 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasoindy View Post
Hi, I have mine in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. Not only is it pretty to look at, IMHO it's as kitty proof as you can get since the opening is small. The opening is almost entirely filled by the light arm which has to be flipped up to access the water. And all this is covered by a sturdy hood. It works quite well as a Betta tank if you leave the water a bit lower than the top. The Betta will also learn where the opening is so it won't hurt if you ever overfill and use the entire "cube". Mine caught on quick because he knows the opening is where the food comes from. It isn't a cheap tank, but it's pretty cat proof.

I can't find the pic where the cat is actually sitting on the tank, but here's what the Edge looks like:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61jDqXOOBwL.jpg
It is very pretty, but my two kittens are very wild. I think it was from when they were younger before I adopted them and the owners kept them in the big cage all the time that I received with them. They own the house and I just know that Binx, my black kitten, will be all over the tank. I used to own fish and the cats in my family have always enjoyed sitting on the hoods of the aquariums. So anything really sturdy is going to be best.