Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 
freemike

Angry Why is there so much misinformation on Bettas?

Seriously I was at Petco and Petsmart and both had horrible literature and products for these fish. Petco had a Betta Triangle that probably wouldn't even hold a quart of water. On the back it said Bettas were used to living in small pockets of water. It went on basically to say that clean aerated water wasn't a big deal for these fish because they have the ability to breathe at the surface. At Petsmart they had a care guide that said that a quart of water would be acceptable housing. It only recommended weekly water changes for any bowl. Granted the information at Petsmart was somewhat better than at Petco, but still could lead someone into providing inadequate conditions for their fish. This is just so frustrating to see these things now. I don't really blame the consumer as some people do not know to not trust these big name companies. You would think that they would take responsibility for holding the trust of so many consumers and provide correct and accurate information.

I know they are in it for the money, but if they would educate consumers that were in their stores they could make more money by selling proper setups. I know if I wouldn't have done my research I would probably have been on my 3rd or 4th fish by now. Which would have netted the store $10 dollars for that tank they initially sold me, 5 dollars for some rocks, and about $16 in fish. Now with my proper set up of two 10 gallon tanks, water treatments, test kits, two heated hospital tanks, and tank accessories I have spent well over $500 at this point. Yes I have probably went overkill with two 10 gallon setups. I'm the type of person if I take an animal in my care I am going to do my best both in attention and financially to provide it the best life I can give it. So, anyways at this point I could have bought hundreds of Betta fish. I am also planning on adding more fish slowly to my tanks when I finish cycling them. So they are still selling fish to me. My brother and one of my friends at work wants me to help them get a set up for their future fish; so that's even more fish being sold. Where as the average consumer might buy 2 or 3 and eventually give up because the stores aren't providing the correct information and the fish are dying. Then they are losing out on further sales of the food and maintenance items. Which in all honesty is probably more profitable than the fish. I wish I had a LFS that provided proper care and information so I could give them my business. :(

/rant over

Last edited by freemike; 02-24-2012 at 12:03 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I can only guess there is so much misinformation because these myths that bettas only need small amounts of water keep going around and eventually, everyone believes them as truth. It's true bettas don't need as much water as other fish but that doesn't mean they can live in a shot glass of dirty water. And for someone to say clean water isn't important because they can breathe surface air is ridiculous. The cleanliness of the water has nothing to do with them breathing but more to do with the ammonia.

I believe these big chain stores simply don't know enough or want to learn how to properly care for a betta because these fish have a reputation as being cheap fish that anyone can keep in a tiny bowl. My theory is if these stores started telling people that it actually costs close to $100 to keep a betta, lots of people would suddenly stop buying them and poof, there goes that easy revenue. That said, I don't see how hard it is to at least recommend the proper amount of water changes.

I highly doubt that by us not buying fish from these chain stores, we will prevent them from keeping or selling them but at least we can do our best to educate those who do buy these beautiful fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
CarmanDirda

The smallest amount of water I'd think twice about putting a betta in is 1gal, and I hate to do that. Besides, it's so much extra work to keep them healthy. Slowly but surely, people are turning around to realize what's right and wrong.

I just wish someone could go slap those people and make them send out the right information. The companies are why bettas are suffering. They're too stubborn and stupid to learn anything or share it.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #4 
freemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
The smallest amount of water I'd think twice about putting a betta in is 1gal, and I hate to do that. Besides, it's so much extra work to keep them healthy. Slowly but surely, people are turning around to realize what's right and wrong.

I just wish someone could go slap those people and make them send out the right information. The companies are why bettas are suffering. They're too stubborn and stupid to learn anything or share it.

Definitely know what you mean by the extra work. I'm currently housing two in separate 1.75 tanks and the daily water changes and salt treatment due to the slight fin rot they have is crazy but the boys are looking better. :) Just can't wait until the cycle on my 10 gallon tanks get done.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #5 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
Definitely know what you mean by the extra work. I'm currently housing two in separate 1.75 tanks and the daily water changes and salt treatment due to the slight fin rot they have is crazy but the boys are looking better. :) Just can't wait until the cycle on my 10 gallon tanks get done.

I know the feeling. I have a lot of small tanks because I have a lot for/from breeding, and cleaning them is a lot of work. I also have rotating heaters because I can't afford enough for all the tanks, so when the tank is heated, it goes to the next one.

The bigger, the better! I can't wait to get my new 10gal to keep some bettas in. The other one is for breeding, though it is empty right now. :/ I just refilled it so it has to cycle.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #6 
freemike

Quote:
I know the feeling. I have a lot of small tanks because I have a lot for/from breeding, and cleaning them is a lot of work. I also have rotating heaters because I can't afford enough for all the tanks, so when the tank is heated, it goes to the next one.

The bigger, the better! I can't wait to get my new 10gal to keep some bettas in. The other one is for breeding, though it is empty right now. :/ I just refilled it so it has to cycle.
About heaters I don't know if this would help but petsupplies.com has the hydor theo for 11-12 bucks a pop starting 50 watts up to 200w.

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/hydo...heater/710079/
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #7 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
About heaters I don't know if this would help but petsupplies.com has the hydor theo for 11-12 bucks a pop starting 50 watts up to 200w.

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/hydo...heater/710079/

That would help. o.o Thank you!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #8 
a123andpoof

Quote:

Petco also has a heater for $10 for small tanks
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #9 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Petco also has a heater for $10 for small tanks

I don't think there's a Petco around here, but there is a Petsmart. Their cheapest heater is $13, though.

I'll check it out.