Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #11 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
You might be getting a lit overstocked: 1 betta, 6-8 Glowlights, cories... + maybe a Plec... And definitely no GloFish.

:) Sorry, again no expert here.
That's not actually accurate, completely. If your school of zebras/glofish is sufficient, the glofish will usually leave the betta alone. I've had a school of zebra danios/glofish since I got my first female with no problems. I wouldn't put anything less than a sufficent school (5+) of zebras/glofish with any betta, which is when they will get nippy.

A friend has a school of zebras also with a big male betta with long fins. No nipping problems either.

Ultimately, i'm sure sometimes it can be a problem, but it can work too.
mzxeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #12 
CarmanDirda

No barbs or cichlids (or other well known fin-nippers), or aggression tagged fish. And probably not a good idea to put fish similiar to bettas like gouramis, or any fish bigger than them unless you're sure they're docile, because the betta will become the victim.

Just find some docile, pretty fish you like that aren't aggressive and preferabley not long-finned (for their body size). I did have bettas with some lyretail fish and other long-finned fish of their size, though.

Not all bettas are really aggressive, except to maybe other bettas. You can introduce fish with dividers or closely monitor them when adding fish. Monitoring is always a must for any introduction of animals, because they're unpredictable.

Also, make sure to have a backup plan for any fish you get. As perfect as they may sound, some fish may have a certain temperment that doesn't allow them to be with other fish - even if it goes against standards for the species.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #13 
CarmanDirda

Also, be sure to keep schooling fish in schools. It'll reduce their aggression and anxiety, and if they stick together, bettas won't be so quick to go after them, either.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzxeternal View Post
That's not actually accurate, completely. If your school of zebras/glofish is sufficient, the glofish will usually leave the betta alone. I've had a school of zebra danios/glofish since I got my first female with no problems. I wouldn't put anything less than a sufficent school (5+) of zebras/glofish with any betta, which is when they will get nippy.

A friend has a school of zebras also with a big male betta with long fins. No nipping problems either.

Yes, as I said no expert here.

Generally I would stay away from brightly colored fish as the male might see this as being a betta male and attack.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #15 
diablo13

You could do guppy females....but male guppy's color is a sure fire way to make a male Betta mad. A Gold Nugget Pleco is a No-No, there are a couple of different species, ranging in size from 6-14 inches long. None of them will fit in that size tank. I would do what Bomb said and I for a school of bottom dwellers, but that's just me.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:

I think they point with no glofish is that there's already several tetras in there, plus a betta, and the glofish require a lot of room.. :s
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #17 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I think they point with no glofish is that there's already several tetras in there, plus a betta, and the glofish require a lot of room.. :s
I have a 14 gal, with a school of 5 Glofish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 female bettas, 10 cherry shrimp, 4 otos and an apple snail. Except for having to significantly increase my filtering capacity (via 2 Aqueon Quietflow 10s), the stocking capacity is at 100% on the nose, assuming adult sizes (which they aren't yet, and I will be upgrading to a 20 gallon in the next month).

All my fish are stress free and content, and I have no water quality problems. A 17 gallon will be more than sufficient.

The reason it works, is the Zebras(Glofish) generally congregate towards the top end of the tank, the neons from middle to low, the otos on the bottom (or eating from the glass) and the bettas travel all over.

My setup on AqAdvisor's calculator :)
mzxeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #18 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
I have a 14 gal, with a school of 5 Glofish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 female bettas, 10 cherry shrimp, 4 otos and an apple snail. Except for having to significantly increase my filtering capacity (via 2 Aqueon Quietflow 10s), the stocking capacity is at 100% on the nose, assuming adult sizes (which they aren't yet, and I will be upgrading to a 20 gallon in the next month).

All my fish are stress free and content, and I have no water quality problems. A 17 gallon will be more than sufficient.

The reason it works, is the Zebras(Glofish) generally congregate towards the top end of the tank, the neons from middle to low, the otos on the bottom (or eating from the glass) and the bettas travel all over.

My setup on AqAdvisor's calculator :)
Female bettas need to be in groups of at least 5 to be stable. Glofish need to be in a 20 Gallon+, I think your overstocked for a 14g. :/ Everyone maybe getting along now, but your in for problems if you don't bump up the number of females in there.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #19 
Aus

How about a betta sorority? Females can be almost as colourful as males, and are sometimes less aggressive, it's said (I don't know by experience).

Not sure what could be kept with them, though, aside from corys.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

AqAdvisor isn't really something to put all your trust in, it doesn't take many things into account.. I think even a 20gal might be too small for all those fish. You definitely need at least 5 female betta and you have to put a lot of time into creating a suitable heavily planted tank to keep a sorority going..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote