Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #11 
CarmanDirda

If you have 2 pairs, you may be set. Just be sure the setup is right. :)
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden

You know, if you can get them to breed I might be willing to buy some of the offspring from you. I've been looking for someone who breeds dwarf gourami as buying them from the store can be very risky with dwarf gourami disease, inbreeding, and all. Of all the smaller gourami the dwarfs are my favorite in coloration. I'd love to have some in my community, but I haven't been able to find a breeder.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #13 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
If you have 2 pairs, you may be set. Just be sure the setup is right. :)
Yeah, that's why I am researching their specific breeding behavior and other important factors. Especially before jumping into deep water head first. This may be somthingOr that I can't complete so I am doing the best I can to get an understanding of what that is ( if any ). I don't think there will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
You know, if you can get them to breed I might be willing to buy some of the offspring from you. I've been looking for someone who breeds dwarf gourami as buying them from the store can be very risky with dwarf gourami disease, inbreeding, and all. Of all the smaller gourami the dwarfs are my favorite in coloration. I'd love to have some in my community, but I haven't been able to find a breeder.
Thank you, I might just be able to want them to breed even more. Now I know someone is willing to take some. Also if I might post a few of the offspring on the original TFK since there is more variety there as ell, but will give betta keepers a chance if they would like.

This is if I am able to breed successfully.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #14 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Thank you, I might just be able to want them to breed even more. Now I know someone is willing to take some. Also if I might post a few of the offspring on the original TFK since there is more variety there as ell, but will give betta keepers a chance if they would like.

This is if I am able to breed successfully.

If I can get a new, free tank, I may buy some as well. I've always loved gouramis, but I hate buying from pet stores, so I haven't had any in years. :( I recently got some other fish as gifts, so they're taking up the tank they'd go in, but I will be getting more in the future anyway because I need room for fry when I breed.

Also, the ones I got were from a petstore, so who knows how long they'll survive...I love them all the same, but it worries me, since so many petstore fish die so quickly.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

I have never bred them, I only have the one male in my community tank, but I have to say they are my favorite. I have a Dwarf Neon Gourami... Ryu. He's awesome. Anyways, just posting so I can follow lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
If I can get a new, free tank, I may buy some as well. I've always loved gouramis, but I hate buying from pet stores, so I haven't had any in years. :( I recently got some other fish as gifts, so they're taking up the tank they'd go in, but I will be getting more in the future anyway because I need room for fry when I breed.

Also, the ones I got were from a petstore, so who knows how long they'll survive...I love them all the same, but it worries me, since so many petstore fish die so quickly.
Well I strongly believe that there are two males and two females. As I said before, the two other non neons look plump as a female would with eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I have never bred them, I only have the one male in my community tank, but I have to say they are my favorite. I have a Dwarf Neon Gourami... Ryu. He's awesome. Anyways, just posting so I can follow lol

Heh, I do the same thing. I was always told it is rare to find females, but found over a dozen females in the tank at Walmart. My Walmart isn't too keen on keeping bettas, but they are REALLY on top of the whole "important" fish idea. It is horrible because the bettas get no attention and are only about 5-6 alive with about a little over a dozen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will definitely be offering to you guys here because I do know the hassle with trying to keep pet store fish alive.

Also I don't want to get people too excited yet because I don't exactly know how to breed them. All I know is that it is similar to bettas. Though since they are pretty fast fish, I can ekeep the water level to the top or just a little lower.

Also when if and when I do sell them, I will be selling them as a juvies (a bit smaller than that maybe) so shipping them would be easier and I wouldn't have to use bigger bags. Not too small though. I want to make sure they are able to survive through the whole process.

Lastly does anyone know anywhere I can find a really good article maybe? I started to research breeding them before I bought a new pair and bred my bettas, but stopped when that happened so I have to touch back on that.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 02-25-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

One of the reasons dwarf gourami are becoming rare in petstore is due to a dwarf gourami disease. It is highly contagious and many petstore refuse to stock them now because of it. So far there is no known cure and it can spread to other members of the community. There have also been inbreeding issues.

From the TFK profile on dwarf gourami:
Quote:
This species frequently carries a disease known as "dwarf gourami iridovirus" which some believe has been caused by successive generations of inbreeding of this fish in the far east. Imports of the species often have high losses, and this disease is now known to be transmittable to other species in the same aquarium with an infected gourami. Fish purchased should be very carefully examined, and if possible only acquired from local breeders.
This is exactly why I've been wanting to find a breeder. Dwarf gourami are beautiful and just the right size for my community, but the stores around here no longer stock them.

While I was searching for someone who breeds dwarf gourami a few months back when I decided on them, I did find a few good sources. Gourami Breeding and a youtube video of them spawning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5KXz1hFOU"]Dwarf gourami spawing / breeding into his bubble nest - YouTube[/ame]
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #18 
CarmanDirda

The diseases are why I'm afraid to buy them from he local pet store. They have males, and 3 variations of them, but I've had bad experiences with them and wouldn't put it past them in the least.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
One of the reasons dwarf gourami are becoming rare in petstore is due to a dwarf gourami disease. It is highly contagious and many petstore refuse to stock them now because of it. So far there is no known cure and it can spread to other members of the community. There have also been inbreeding issues.

From the TFK profile on dwarf gourami: This is exactly why I've been wanting to find a breeder. Dwarf gourami are beautiful and just the right size for my community, but the stores around here no longer stock them.

While I was searching for someone who breeds dwarf gourami a few months back when I decided on them, I did find a few good sources. Gourami Breeding and a youtube video of them spawning.

Dwarf gourami spawing / breeding into his bubble nest - YouTube
Ah I see now. Is there a name for the disease? It sounds like the H1N1 virus, but worse for fish. And since they ARE in water and constantly rubbing against other fish, it is so much easier to spread it im guessing. When you say inbreeding issures, do you mean really bad deformities?

I also saw a few videos (very few) on youtube of them spawning. Would you maybe know how many generations you can breed the fry before switching over to prevent deformities and other inbreeding issues?

I should be able to post pictures now finally.

I really hope that this species doesnt become extinct because of this disease! IT would be terrible to see none at all or just very few hundred in the world!. My LPS used to sell some as quarter sized fry and they seemed to live a while.

(Just a side noted rant) I brought them home two days ago and when my sister looked at them she said they look creepy because of the "antennas." LOL. I couldn't help, but laugh. Too bad I'm not completely educated on them to tell her otherwise.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #20 
ashtricks

Quote:
Is there a name for the disease? It sounds like the H1N1 virus, but worse for fish. And since they ARE in water and constantly rubbing against other fish, it is so much easier to spread it im guessing. When you say inbreeding issures, do you mean really bad deformities?

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/o...#ixzz1nRGgHhyw
Quote:
This species frequently carries a disease known as "dwarf gourami iridovirus" which some believe has been caused by successive generations of inbreeding of this fish in the far east. Imports of the species often have high losses, and this disease is now known to be transmittable to other species in the same aquarium with an infected gourami. Fish purchased should be very carefully examined, and if possible only acquired from local breeders.

Read more: Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius) Profile
I found this site which tells more about the DGI. Aquarium Fish: Fish Viral Disease

I have not bred dwarf gouramis but back in India, I had a pair of golden gouramis which did produce 60 - 70 fry 2 times. I just had a stem of hydrilla (considered an invasive weed in the US) floating in my tank. No heater, no filter. The first time I could not save any. Second time around when I could see the fry swimming around the tank, I siphoned as many of them as I could and gave them to my LFS guy.
ashtricks is offline   Reply With Quote