Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #21 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtricks View Post
I found this site which tells more about the DGI. Aquarium Fish: Fish Viral Disease

I have not bred dwarf gouramis but back in India, I had a pair of golden gouramis which did produce 60 - 70 fry 2 times. I just had a stem of hydrilla (considered an invasive weed in the US) floating in my tank. No heater, no filter. The first time I could not save any. Second time around when I could see the fry swimming around the tank, I siphoned as many of them as I could and gave them to my LFS guy.
Thank you for the reference, that really helps!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #22 
Pitluvs

The disease idea scared the poop out of me! I went in the store here looking to buy a Honey Gourami since they stay pretty small since I wanted to avoid Dwarf Gouramis. But there was one little Dwarf Neon sitting in a tank with a dead tank mate and he was sitting in the back corner scared out of his mind. I decided to take a chance on him, even if he was sick at least he would pass in a home that loved him. That was in September, he's still with me and perfectly healthy. I am happy I decided on him. From now on though, I hope to get a big tank down the road and have a larger Gourami.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #23 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Ah I see now. Is there a name for the disease? It sounds like the H1N1 virus, but worse for fish. And since they ARE in water and constantly rubbing against other fish, it is so much easier to spread it im guessing. When you say inbreeding issures, do you mean really bad deformities?
-snip-
Deformities come from many many generations of inbreeding, but in general cases of inbreeding weaken the fish and cause them to be more susceptible to disease. It will also shorten their lives, and less offspring from spawn will grow to adulthood.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #24 
ashtricks

Will a male dwarf gourami build a bubble nest even if there is no female in the tank?
ashtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #25 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtricks View Post
Will a male dwarf gourami build a bubble nest even if there is no female in the tank?
I think I read that male dwarf gouramis will usually only blow bubblenests in the presence of a female but like bettas usually they build bubblenests when they are alone.

This is what I've read so far. I'm still looking into them a bit more.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

Update!

I JUST now bought another 4 of the dwarf gouramis. Another two males and another two females.

I also bought two small blue spotted gouramis. I dont know how to tell male from female yet.

Though with the dwarf gouramis, I read that it is the dorsal that tells male from female. (im going to use DG for Dwarf gouramis) The male DG has a longer pointed dorsal while the female has a shorter curved dorsal.