Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #11 
Edifiler

I hope they dont reproduce too many But i guess my local fish shop would gladly take them in. Do you have any larger fishes that feed off feeders?
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
I hope they dont reproduce too many But i guess my local fish shop would gladly take them in. Do you have any larger fishes that feed off feeders?
I used to have a nice big Oscar. I'm going to be getting either one or two big ones again. I miss having them!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 
Edifiler

Haha i would love an oscar but i dont have a big enough tank or room to have one ;x
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Haha i would love an oscar but i dont have a big enough tank or room to have one ;x
I have A 55 gallon tank and it looks so empty. I have 8 DG(Dwarf Gouramis) and 2 BG's (Blue Gouramis). I know that they will get about 6-8 inches.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #15 
Edifiler

Is it planted?

On a side note, the other female and male was chasing one of my guppy alot so i decided to isloate it in a floating container and placed some frogbit around it. Is that a bad choice? Should i let her back in?
Shes showing signs of pregnancy, faster breathing rate and a very boxed look.

Last edited by Edifiler; 02-26-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Is it planted?

On a side note, the other female and male was chasing one of my guppy alot so i decided to isloate it in a floating container and placed some frogbit around it. Is that a bad choice? Should i let her back in?
Shes showing signs of pregnancy, faster breathing rate and a very boxed look.
No it's not planted. Though I really want to get a TON of live plants to add to it. I have a few ornaments, but that isnt really much so it looks so empty. I thought I was getting two huge oscars a little while back, but it never happened so I never got any nice ornaments to really have a heavily planted tank.

No this isnt bad. You actually did the right thing by cupping it and separating it from the rest. Guppies are known to be nippers so it is suggested to get more than three usually up to 5 of them.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #17 
Edifiler

Yeah, my planted tank is pretty new too, hopefully it'll grow well ;x I dont really like ornaments, since they can tear betta fins ;x

I plan to keep the female in there for now, and by tomorrow morning, if there isnt any fry, i'll release her back in. I am however concern that overnight she might give birth to the fry and consume them before i can remove her tomorrow morning ;x
Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Yeah, my planted tank is pretty new too, hopefully it'll grow well ;x I dont really like ornaments, since they can tear betta fins ;x

I plan to keep the female in there for now, and by tomorrow morning, if there isnt any fry, i'll release her back in. I am however concern that overnight she might give birth to the fry and consume them before i can remove her tomorrow morning ;x
Well I was meaning more like a smooth ornament and there are silk plants with no jagged edges so they are fine. Also some driftwood would be interesting to have as well.

That is a good idea. I'm sure she wont give birth and consume them all in one night. It is possible, but I dont think this will happen considering they are pretty fast and if it is heavily planted most can get away fast.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #19 
Edifiler

But if she gives birth to the fry while shes in the isolation container i dont think they'll be able to hide ;x
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #20 
jamiend97

Quote:
@jamiend97 I've just fed them today, still no sign of any frys in the tank yet. How would you remove them with a net? wouldnt they be too small ( unless you have a small holed net ). Also would netting them cause some damage to the small fry?

Also would it better that i just leave the frys in there? And if i do, im not sure how to feed them. They'll eat the infusoria growing on the live plants in there, but im sure they'll need more then that to grow. I've got a sponge filter with a "not so strong" current, is that fine?

@4shi Thanks for the clear up, i would prefer not to remove them from the tank as im sure it'll cause them lots of stress. Currently, I have 3 guppies, 2 females and 1 male, in my planted 10 gallon.

Heres a picture of my 10 gallon, would that have enough cover for the fry to hide from the adults and grow up?

* Ignore the ceramic rings in the bag near the filter, i was using it to speed up the cycling process earlier *
My net has really tiny holes. If you do it carefully they'd be fine.
I leave mine in there, but sometimes I take them out and give them to the pet store or put them in other tanks. As for feeding, I drop sinking food in one corner of the tank so the big guppies go crazy over there, then I sprinkle food next to my floating plants (Thats where my guppies hide) and they eat there.

Your tank looks good, lots of hiding places. I strongly reccomend floating plants. I think your filter is fine. I have a regular HOB filter that doesn't bother them.
jamiend97 is offline   Reply With Quote