Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #31 
tpocicat

I really like your idea. If it could work, it would help a lot of us hobby breeders, those of us that want to breed top quality bettas without the thousands of fry! IBC sells shipping boxes and bags, also heat pads, I can't wait for their site to come back up.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #32 
HatsuneMiku

If i'm understanding your proposal correctly, this wouldn't only be to sell bettas, but supplies as well right?

the problem with that is, that you would make the business deals with distributors to get products at wholesale prices, and then re-sell it to breeders like a middle man, which is no different then breeders buying from sites like aquabid or from the ibc website, cus lets face it .. even the middle man needs to take a cut to make some money. that's just basic business practices. even if your only making 1 cent off of reselling to other breeders, that is still a profit for you especially if your buying in bulk from wholesale. i know as a breeder myself, i go in with another breeder to buy at wholesale cost directly from a supplier. why would i buy from a middle man? unless you plan on selling the products not for profit for yourself and are willing to sell to breeders at the same wholesale price that you were able to negotiate.

also, since most established and serious breeders usually have their own website and sell their fish on their own site as well as utilize forums (classified sections) as well as putting their fish on aquabid (there are US breeders on there), and pre-plan with local fish stores etc. before they actually attempt to breed. Sure you will have your occasional breeder that produced a spawn just to "try it" and see what happens. but most of those spawns are given away, or sold for a very low price.

what many people don't understand when breeding is that even if your breeding pair are perfect, your spawn won't all be perfect. for example, from a 100 fry halfmoon spawn, you possibly might get 10-15% (could be more or less depending on the spawn) that are actually worth 20-50 dollars and are of breeding or show quality. usually breeders will pick 2-3 pairs to breed, and then some go up on aquabid, their own website to sell, etc. these do not go to mom or pop shops or lfs or pets stores since these are the cream of the crop. they are usually sold/traded to other breeders, entered into shows, which then after the show they are auctioned off at the show, etc.

then, the majority of the spawn would just be of the usual suspects that you see at local mom and pop shops (all the mom and pop stores around me hand pick the fish they want at their shop cus they know what their customers want and sells at their shop and what doesn't) that the store are selling for 6.99-8.99. which mean you sell to the store at 2-3 dollars per fish.

then you get the rest of the spawn that didn't get picked or sold. what do u do with them? give them away to family or friends. or take care of them yourself? these are usually the fish that end up at walmarts petsmarts petcos etc.

but i guess the bottom line i gotta ask from a business standpoint is. what will your site accomplish? why would i use ur site/service, when i can establish my own and not have to pay you royalties or a service fee or pay you to be the middle man? unless you plan on providing your site as a free service for breeders, then what's in it for you? we all know running a site is not free. how are you going to cover your over head costs?

it is a good idea, but there's a lot of other aspects that you haven't really touched upon that i hope you do cover when your business proposal is ready.

good luck! =)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #33 
GreenTea

It's an interesting idea, but I think it would be just as obscured as US breeders who have personal pages and I'm not sure how you would profit. I hope this doesn't come off as incredibly offensive, but for being an IT person, your spelling and grammer is pretty bad. If you want to design a website as a respectable business in the US, just make sure you have someone to help with that or it will look really sloppy.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #34 
LittleBeta

I think it would be good for first time breeders to use but (like stated above a few times) more experienced breeders have there own sites.
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #35 
SeniorD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiflow View Post
Breeders, I went to PetSmart to get a betta and was amazed at the poor condition of the fish. I then went to the web to see if I could order online and only found Aquabids and a few poorly ran websites. I realized that this market hasen't even been taped. I was scared of Aquabids and I do not want to order from oversee's. I am an IT professional and have the ability to create well ran websites . My idea was to develop a website that small breeders could sell their. Betta's. If you could easly sell your betta's through a website would you all be interested? I am just asking to see if this is a viable idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
An American based website would be cool :) with a Canadian subsection lol

I fully agree with everything in bold!
SeniorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

What else will be part of the website besides people posting fish for sale?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, business, petsmart, petstore, selling