Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #31 
Karebear13

He is so cute!!! I want a hamster so bad but my Mom says no to them. She claims they bite and smell :(
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #32 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
He is so cute!!! I want a hamster so bad but my Mom says no to them. She claims they bite and smell :(
My ham does not smell at all, even if you put your face in his cage. :)
As for the biting, each hamster is different. Some are very cuddley, some have a short playing time and bite when they want back in their cage, and some like my Hannibal do not like people near him at all and bites. I have had him for almost a year and I have only touched him once (the first day I got him I picked him up to put him in his new cage). I give him treats and when I clean his cage he walks right into his ball. But you learn to love them for who they are.
As with all animals their personalities vary just like humans. We cannot really expect them all to be loving. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #33 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
That is the same reason why my Mom doesn't want me to get one, and the fact that they are nocturnal. That is all I want from her for my 16th birthday, is permission to have a hamster.

I was thinking of getting a Syrian hamster if I do, but I would rather rescue one from the shelter by me, so not to picky. My requirements are just young so it is easier to train.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #34 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
That is the same reason why my Mom doesn't want me to get one, and the fact that they are nocturnal. That is all I want from her for my 16th birthday, is permission to have a hamster.

I was thinking of getting a Syrian hamster if I do, but I would rather rescue one from the shelter by me, so not to picky. My requirements are just young so it is easier to train.
You could also try Craigslist. I got my Hannibal from a craigslist ad. Most of the time they are in need of rescuing.
When I got Hannibal (known as Speedy to his last owner) he was in a bare dirty 10 gallon with no wheel or toys, only a bed and his food dish. He was being fed horrible food and they let him play loose in the yard. One time she told me he got loose in the street and had to dodge cars for an hour.

BTW, if any of you need to learn more about hamsters, there is a great hamster forum called HamsterHideout. They can show you how to make a large cheap bin cage for your ham too. :)
I have Hannibal in a bin cage, most single cages are not big enough for hamsters plue bins are really cheap. I got Hannibal a huge bin for only $11. :)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #35 
Bombalurina

Hamsters freak me out a little. I look at them and think, "Where is your tail, you pathetic excuse for a mouse? But....awww. You are really cute anyway."

They are illegal here, though. I probably wouldn't own one if they were because I am too in love with the wonderful personalities of big fat cuddley rats, but they are very cute. If really bizarre-looking. It's like a 5-year-old girl asked Disney to design the cutest animal ever - if it had eyes the size of saucers, I would swear it was made by Disney.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #36 
kfryman

Alusha, I think I went on there before. If I did get a hamster s/he would go in a 20 gallon fish tank with the screen top. I would also build some floors up off the ground for a bit more space. I would also make sure it isn't that high so it doesn't break something if it does fall off.

What is the best bedding to have? Carefresh I know is good, but is there something else I can also put in? Would like carefresh and then if I add say some hay so they can build a nest or what ever?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #37 
kfryman

I went to look on Craigslist, someone had 3 hamsters in a small cage, couldn't be more than 5 gallons! O.O Terrible pet owners in the world...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #38 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Alusha, I think I went on there before. If I did get a hamster s/he would go in a 20 gallon fish tank with the screen top. I would also build some floors up off the ground for a bit more space. I would also make sure it isn't that high so it doesn't break something if it does fall off.

What is the best bedding to have? Carefresh I know is good, but is there something else I can also put in? Would like carefresh and then if I add say some hay so they can build a nest or what ever?
You can get aspen shavings for bedding. That is what I use. Make sure not to use pine or cedar, however you can use kiln dried pine if you cannot find aspen.
You can use soft napkins for nesting material. I use a scrap of fleece in Hannibal's igloo, he dos not chew it up or poop on it. :)

Also get your ham a sand bath (make sure it is sand, not dust). They love rolling in it and it helps their coats. Do not buy "rodent sand", go for Chinchilla sand (again, not dust) or calcium sand that is found in the reptile section. :)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #39 
kfryman

CM I use play sand lol? I have some left, but I would still buy some other sand if I need to. I may still have some calcium sand too.

Wouldn't they poop in the sand though?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #40 
Aluyasha

I am not sure if you can use play sand.
Yes some use it as a litter box, my Hannibal poops in his, but he only poops so it is easy to clean. If you ham does use it as a litter box, it will still be cheap to refiill and keep his cage cleaner.

And remember if you get a Syrain, only get one per cage. Also if you do get a Syrian, watch out for Wet Tail. :)