Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 
popcornprincess

White cottony fungus just keeps growing back please help

Jaws is my pink male crowntail betta. he lives in a 2 gallon tank on my dresser. one day i came home and he had these white cottony patches on him. when i netted him out to do a 100% water change the net hit the patch and it fell off, taking some of his scales with it. he seemed relived that it was gone. i kept him in his cup with his old (and probably infected water) for a little less than 24 hours while the water conditioner settled and a tiny bit of fungus grew on his other side. i gave him BETTAFIX for his open sore where the patch and scales came off to heal his skin and kill any bacteria in the cup. when i put him back in his tank his gills were sticking out a little. since he is hiding now i cant see him but its a few hours later and i think the fungus grew back where his sore was! i gave him a tsp. of BETTAFIX once i put him back... does BETTAFIX not kill this fungus? its supposed to heal his sore and kill BACTERIA not FUNGUS? is the reason that it keeps growing back is because i poured some of the old infected water into the new water? i have a filter! is the fungus going to keep attacking the same spot where there is no skin? should i scratch the fungus off with the net and do another water change? is the reason he caught the fungus is because the water is too cold? i ususally keep it a 74 degrees. Will my baby boy die? why are his gills open? and why was he hanging out by the intake of the filter earlier? if he puts the fungus up against the intake will it suck it away?
popcornprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #2 
Aus

Bettafix, from everything I've read here and on other forums, isn't great for bettas as a long-term treatment, and I'd avoid using it because there's a risk of it damaging the organ they use to breathe air.

I'm just new to betta-keeping, and hope some of the more experienced folks come by to help out, but I must say really wouldn't remove the diseased patches - in any creature, an open wound is far more likely to get secondary infections in it, and I think it's probably the same for fish.

One water change and treatment won't fix his disease. He probably needs a course of treatment over several days or weeks, and one geared toward the specific disease he has - could you post some pictures, to help folks identify it?

Last edited by Aus; 02-26-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #3 
popcornprincess

Thank u for your quick response, but jaws died last night. But it's nice to know whatidid wrong.
popcornprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 
Myates

I'm sorry to hear that.. I hate being too late to help :(

Definitely come back here to the forums if you have any questions, or need help.. we will be glad to help. I'm sorry we didn't get to you in time, sometimes the weekend can get a bit slow around here.

Best of luck to you, well wishes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Cotton mouth it sounds like... I am so sorry you lost him!

Here is what I started doing after losing fish to the tough diseases...stocked up on meds. I suggest it so you can kick diseases in the butt and win!! Maracyn and Maracyn 2, ich medication, fungal medication, parasite fizzy tabs, kanaplex, Aquarium and epsom salt.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote