Originally Posted by jterrero
Fry have been free swimming for a couple of days. they are eating, they are getting big enough that I can actually see them eating but they are still tiny
my tank looks disgusting, I have a sponge filter running on a separate tank,
1) at what age is it safe to put sponge filter in tank?
2) Can I now start adding water?
3) How can I get rid of the scum on the top of the water?
I don't wanna sound rude but, the reason why you have a spawn log thread is to use that to ask questions about your fry spawn. I will however try to answer these in the best of my knowledge.
1. Age doesn't really play much of a role in this cause some fry are still small and some are bigger than the others. You have to see how big they are and if they can withstand some current at their current size. If so, you can try adding the sponge filter in the tank at the lowest possible settings.
2. I believe you can always add water aslong as they're already free swimming but most breeders wait till the 2nd week mark before they do. Mainly because fry are really sensitive to water temp and parameters.
3. You can get rid of them by scooping them out.
and here is a very informative thread that MrVampire composed, you can always read/re-read them cause most of your questions can be answered there.