Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

Encouraging the Female to Spawn

Hello everyone!

Well days ago I got a really nice even finned HMPK super red pair from a really great person on AB. I released them to each other and today is the second day of them being together.

The male and female (when FIRST released) went head on flaring at each other then doing the "Betta Dance" (a snake like pattern of movement shared between either one or both the male and female bettas while in the process of courtship) in other words, they were wiggling back and forth. Now the female was nipped a few times (not severely) and she isn't Petrified of the male, but she is doing the natural swim away that they would usually do. She can hid under the heater for hours until the male chases her and tries to lure her.

The male has been trying to lure her to the nest since they were released so he is definitely ready. Now on the other hand the female is not convinced that he will be "Gentle." He gets frustrated because she turns her caudal to him and he chases her. This is normal behavior and yes I know they usually spawn in the matter of 3-4 days averagely, but I was wondering,

Long story short...IS there a way to encourage the female to spawn with the male?

I had somewhat the same problem with Korra and Draco. Korra was ready, but Draco was not trying to spawn. Now it is the usual other way around.

Has anyone had any experience with actually encouraging the female to spawn with the male? I have heard of using live foods, but all I have is BBS eggs and very few milimeters in a vial until I can find a way to get more.

P.S.
Sorry for writing a whole story!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 
Edifiler

Have you tried Indian almond leaves? Im sure they'll help since their natural spawn inducers.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #3 
xrein

yeh, could someone have a way to encourage the female to spawn??
cause i also have this kind of problem, my female suddenly release her eggs while there is no male, so now im trying to spawn her woth my male but she refuse -__-"
xrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The best way to encourage the female is good care - healthy and aggressive females will take bites lightly and will not hide for long....even if it kills them.

But once they're together, there's nothing you can do but wait. Good hiding places is safer for the female, but may make the process longer since the female can hide as long as she pleases. Less hiding places or hide outs where the male can go to should make the process faster but risky for the female.

@xrein: females releasing eggs is normal. I just got a female and it released eggs for about 4 days. She will flirt when ever flared ... but I don't plan to breed her anytime soon. Give these females a week or so (safer) while you condition her with (preferably) non worm live foods.
Always flare your pair to see if they flirt swim. Sometimes they will immediately flirt swim when you toss them in the breeding tank. But not always.

Lately many of my girls (my own spawning) wont spawn. They flirt swim and everything, but they never get to the embrace phase. Patience is important because it may avoid their death. I mean don't force them to spawn. IMO it's better to make them want to spawn - healthy and aggressive.

Last edited by indjo; 02-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

@indo: Thank you. She was aggressive. She still is healthy. What is currently going on is that she would sit under the heater and he has been trying to lure her for three days now since the first day of introduction. She doesn't just swim off panting or anything, but she will wait until he is pretty close to turn her head and face her caudal at him. Then he gets frustrated and nudges her with his mouth open on her odd, but doesn't nip her body. Her fins aren't bad either so I would say that she is "stubborn" and he is one of the most "gentle" males I have had that were HMPK.

In this predicament, what would you do?

@Edifiler: I already have IAL in the tank with the IAL extract making the tank a nice amber color.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #6 
GreenTea

I am currently having this problem as well. The female is health and he has been very gentle with her. The water is tanned and she'll go check out the nest, but turns back part way and then he chases her. They've been together for two days I think. She has one little nip in her fin anal fin and that's all so I'm leaving them together. He is continually adding to the nest and chasing her, so that seems like a good sign. She was VERY flirty when in her chimney, so I thought they'd be quick. If they don't spawn in the next 4 days I'll re-condition and try again.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #7 
xrein

@indjo: what do you mean in "non worm live foods?"
but i thought, live foods are best for conditioning a pair??
im feeding mine tubidex worms
xrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #8 
GreenTea

They are! Worms are good, but things like brine shrimp, flightless fruit flies maybe, things that are more protein and fatty are best.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 
GreenTea

I turned the tank light on and now she follows him all the way to the nest sometimes but its still not quite working for some reason. He's still building away at his nest.

OK EDIT - Now she's literally head down under the nest waiting but he keeps chasing her off so he can build his nest. It's huge already. Oy vey bettas! :)

Last edited by GreenTea; 02-26-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 
Amphibianite

Better than mine, GT, she does nothing but run now... They were both happy flirting when she was in her vase in the tank. He was even working on a small bubblenest. Now all she does is run, and all he does is gently chase and flare, not a nest in sight.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote