Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #11 
bettalover2033

I will have to take a look into google to see if I find an article because I do remember reading something about something else. Not in the news or anything, but just an article that explained a little more in depth.

I was actually trying to answer another question. I read it and comprehended it wrong. I would agree with natural selection since it does make sense and I was just taught that in science.

But to add, short fins are recessive to any kind of betta species. I don't know about other fish, but for bettas yes.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #12 
Wolfboy51

(i dont know if this has been answered) do the male fish carry the dominant gene like humans?
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #13 
bettalover2033

I keep hearing that the genes have so much to do with age, and water temp.

Indo explained this on a thread called, male and female ratio by BeautifulBetta.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #14 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfboy51 View Post
(i dont know if this has been answered) do the male fish carry the dominant gene like humans?
Both sexes of fish carry the same genes. Its the combination of genes that occurs after fertilization of the eggs that determines the tail type.

I don't know what you mean by male humans carrying the dominant gene. I think you may be referring to the sex determinant gene because males determine gender. In this case neither X or Y is dominant it just happens that sometimes the male fertilizes with a sperm containing the Y gene and sometimes its the X gene. This is a little different than the genes determining characteristics like hair color or fin length in fish mainly due to the fact that a female does not necessary have the same alleles and can provide a variety of combinations. For example if a Long finned female from a short finned lineage was bred her eggs could either have the gene for long fins or for short fins. The eggs don't all have to have the same genes either.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #15 
Wolfboy51

Yes i was talking about the gender gene women having XX and males having XY. So if you bred mixed breeds could you end up with completely different tail types? Like HM X VT
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfboy51 View Post
Yes i was talking about the gender gene women having XX and males having XY. So if you bred mixed breeds could you end up with completely different tail types? Like HM X VT
Yes it's possible, but only if the pair has the VT or HM genes in them. We wouldn't be able to have black hair if everyone in our family had red hair or blonde, since no one has any black hair.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #17 
Wolfboy51

K, ty.