Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 
animallover

I have a step-niece that said they are messy and a little smelly. I didn't mean to offend you. I have never owned one, and decided against it because I listened to family. :(

I know my rabbits, wow! The pee was so bad I cleaned their cage 2/3 times a day. It had a pullout under so it was easier. They also got into everything!

That's why I wrote in about the carefresh. Everybody has their own experience with it. My main concern was for my father and the same note any hazard to my little ones. I have heard all is dusty, then the white ultra is the least dusty and then its not dusty! Then, I heard it doesn't really hold odor! Oh well, the only way to figure that out, im going to buy the smallest bags of different ones and try it!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #12 
Badjer

Oh I'm not offended! Though I never found mine to stink, even when the cage had to go uncleaned for a few days. Carefresh majorly cut back on all odor though. My mom even allowed us to move the cages into the living room because with proper cage cleaning, all we ever really smelled was alfalfa hay. I've heard rabbits can be really bad pee wise. Can't honestly say I've ever had a huge desire to own one because if it! They're so fluffy and cuddly though! I have allergies and found the Carefresh very satisfying. Hope it works out for you!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #13 
Rosso1011

Carefresh is not only good for people with allergies, but rodents that are sensitive to dust produced by wood chip bedding.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #14 
SlinkyInk

I never found that my guineas were smelly, I never noticed any strong odors. When I had hamsters, whooo, they were smelly! I had to remember to clean their cages frequently. And don't even get me started on ferrets!
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #15 
animallover

Badjer- Glad I didn't offend you :) If you handle them when their young daily,and train them, they are really sweet. They use to run lose with my cats during playtime, until one of them spooked one of the cats and then, the cats didn't like them. End of mixing them lol!

Rosso1011- I have heard that, and although I got more bedding today, I still need to get me a bag of it. I didnt bring enough extra $ with me. My 29 gallon fish tank heater and thermometer quit. This weekend I will get it :)

SlinkyInk- Yes, our hamsters also, wow! I watched my friends ferret, their musk smell, I don't know if I could get used to. Ya, I probably could! But the litter box is just like a cat, that's the main reason I don't want a ferret or another cat. :)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tikibirds- I read the white one is the best instead of the brown. Thank you.
I like the white one best. I seemed to have less breathing and sinus issues when I use carefresh as opposed to wood chip bedding. However I have a chinchilla and she gets dust baths for her fur and that causes alot of sneezing too
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #17 
animallover

Tikibirds-Thank you! :) My gerbils also use chinchilla dust bath monthly but, it hasn't seemed to bother anyone yet. Of course, they really don't kick it up either. I didn't even think of the sand possibly being a problem.. thank you!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

The only rodent I found that ever smelled were ferrets. AND THEY REEK. My guineas do not smell at all, and I never found the hamster smelly, or even mice (if kept in properly ventilated cages, not tanks). I use aspen bedding, but everthing here is so scarce to find. Carefresh is lovely to use!!! Unfortunately for me we sell a small bit (I have to use 4 for the cage... 4 x 15.00 =YIKES!) so I stuck with aspen, or even polar fleece bedding for the somewhat larger critters like rabbits, guineas, rats, etc.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #19 
animallover

Out of all my rodents, my gerbils only smell if they pee on boxes or wood. They are really clean animals. All my hamsters smelt a little, we cleaned them weekly and spots almost daily..... hmm. I like Aspen, and miss it because it was cheap, but I am really loving my very expensive supply of ECO bedding lol.

I never gave my rats fleece.. if I ever get another, I think I might try it. I was worried they would chew it. My male rabbit would chew anything we gave him :) He was a trouble maker!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #20 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
The only rodent I found that ever smelled were ferrets. AND THEY REEK. My guineas do not smell at all, and I never found the hamster smelly, or even mice (if kept in properly ventilated cages, not tanks).
I agree that ferrets have a unique odor that may be unappealing to some (myself included). The only other small animal that I find can be a little bit smelly is male rats. I love rats, but the males have a slight smell and their coats get oily real quick so I feel kinda dirty after picking one up.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote