Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Talking The Guinea Room - and it's inhabitants! (updating regularily)

Honey surprised us with a little baby!! Gender unknown yet, but I will update on the 2nd or 3rd what the gender is...
(excuse technical difficulties for pictures)

And the other one, is the unnamed not-so-furry guy (yes, a male) who as of the 3rd will become a part of my family I know people find them ugly but hey... Once I worked with one, I've been wanting one. I just would prefer holding onto money for the vet care than the pet considering here, these guys cost more than the vet does!

Pictures:
1. Honey the 3 month old mama.
2, 3, and 4. The baby! He/she was the size of her tummy for pete sakes...
5, 6, 7. The newcomer!

My plan!

I plan to lay a tarp in the spare room, covering part of the walls as well (about an inch or two up) to keep the carpet clear of pee and poo.

Then laying down homemade carefresh bedding, along with the lovely polar fleece pieces I may make into tunnels and such.

I will also be making a flour and water based paper mache to make smaller tunnels, that will be completely non toxic!

I can get huge amounts of timothy hay, and plan to have the baby with mama unless it happens to be a boy... Then the introduction to the nameless boy will be in need although they'll be living side by side. If they don't get along I'll divide the room into thirds. The corners will have fleece covered cardboard, there will be tons of toys, ramps, etc!!

Half the room will be divided so the male has his own section, and Honey and her baby have theirs. The room, will be their cage!! lol.

For the warm part of spring, before the boiling hot of summer I will be having them outside in the nice green grass (the male in the shade) I will also be gardening... lettuce, carrots, cilantro, parsely...

I'm decking it ALL OUT for my guineas This is done on a budget and will be great for ANY small critter owner, all of the ideas are allowed to be used - don't need my permission. Everything, is either cheap, or easily obtained from your garage or household.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 02-27-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
animallover

Oh my, can I have them? :) They are so cute! And very spoiled!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

haha well if she had more than one baby I'd be begging someone to take one home x.x hehe!!! And darn rights will they be spoiled :p I love going all out for my animals. (sitting behind me in the other room is Shiloh in his 20 gallon aaaallll to himself- *cough*
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 
animallover

Hehe! Yup, its hard not too spoil!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

yup but hey, anyone says I am CRUEL TO MY ANIMALS I'll post tons of pictures and be all "cruelty? I'd hate to see what you put YOUR animals through you hippy" I tend to go all out and make life great for my pets. If I cannot provide it I am a stickler for who can (my friend did for Ginger aka Creature and Panda!) then I know they got great homes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You are legit my pet care idol. You just do everything you can for them! I was reading about how those "standard size" rabbit cages are way too small for guinea pigs since they're so social. If they aren't territorial you should try making part of the separating wall like, cage bars so they can see and smell each other, like they do for horse stalls. xD I love your hairless guy, they are freaking awesome.
Also REALLY glad to hear that everything turned out okay for Creature and Panda :3
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Except then they might mate through the bars.

This is a plan I've had for a long time to do for my ratties! Except my boys are so lazy that I don't think they'd appreciate it. :p Plus, so much cleaning...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I was reading about how those "standard size" rabbit cages are way too small for guinea pigs since they're so social.
Those cages are way to small for rabbits too!

What a surprise that Honey was pregnant! Thank goodness she was able to deliver a safe and healthy baby.

I'm glad your friend was able to take in Creature and Panda, so that Creature will get the required vet care. However... I'm confused on why you would take in another Guinea pig when you had re-home Creature because you didn't have money for vet care? Let alone a male who will need to be neutered, which can be pricey. Perhaps your money situation has changed, I don't know. Either way definetely start putting money away for a "vet fund".

In case you don't already know, you need to wait three to four weeks after the neuter surgery before you put the male with Honey. This is to make sure the sperm is out of his system.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mate through the bars? Ew, that's gross, never thought of that. Nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Those cages are way to small for rabbits too!
Lol, yes I know that now. I had my bunny in one of those when I was like, 9. Needless to say I won't get another one until I actually can care for one properly :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

skinnys CANNOT be nuetered as in their genetics it WILL kill them. I asked a skinny breeder lol. Anesthesia is so dangerous for them...more than regular guineas poor babies.

Having healthy guineas, is different than having sick guineas. Since I got them, they got healthier, yes, but she could be diabetic for all we know which will be pricey. My money situation IS getting better, but it will be easier on me to have only healthy guineas than "might be sick, might have kidney failure, might have this, might have that, might need meds" problem. A check up is between 60.00 and 80.00. A medical problem 200.00 to 1000.00. Which is why I do not intend to breed her, or the baby, or the male.

LionCalie, were you even there when I was talking about Creature (Ginger) when I first got her? How I tried SO hard during that time to get her to a vet and couldn't? Now, my friend wanted her so badly and they bonded unlike with me... And I couldn't separate her from her buddy Panda, so they are staying together. I just made her promise one thing: take her to a vet.