Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

I want to save him!

I was in a local petshop yesterday. The guy who runs it is actually pretty good, by petshop standards. When he saw a sick goldfish in the (typically) overcrowded tank, he scooped the little guy out and isolated him in the plant tank, which is twice the size and has no other fish (the other guys were attacking him).
However, he also had a tank with coral blue dwarf gouramis, male swordtails and serpae tetras -all quite aggressive fish. The serpaes were mostly just bothering each other, the stupid little nippers (heaps of them had nipped fins), but the swords had basically declared war on the gouramis. Two were hiding behind the filter, one was fighting back and one had a wound on his side, most of his tail missing and smaller wounds around his head. I really want to go back and get him out of that tank, since he clearly can't fend for himself in there. The guy who runs the shop doesn't have any other isolation tanks.

Here's my dilemma: I don't really have anywhere to put him. I have my overcrowded sorority (moving to the 23 gallon in a few weeks where I won't be overstocked anymore), but he would fight with the girls, I presume, gouramis and bettas not being famous for getting on. I have my 3 gallon CRS tank, but that's too small and it's only 20 degrees celcius. I have my 5 gallon, but that's Odysseus's.
I also have an empty 5 gallon hex. It is too small for him, and I don't have permission to set it up. It does have a heater and a filter (I can do an instant cycle with borrowed media) but I'm not sure I have enough powerpoints to run it.

I suppose the logical conclusion is that I can't save him, but I hate having it within my power (I could do it if I just had permission!) and not being able to save him. :(
Maybe if he's still there/alive when I get the 23 gallon I'll consider it, although I'm supposed to be shutting down my 5 gallon when that happens.
Le sigh :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 
jamiend97

I've always heard not to mix gouramis and bettas. I had a few female bettas mixed with Kissing Gouramis. They never once went after eachother. It was honestly the most peaceful tank I've ever had.
jamiend97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiend97 View Post
I've always heard not to mix gouramis and bettas. I had a few female bettas mixed with Kissing Gouramis. They never once went after eachother. It was honestly the most peaceful tank I've ever had.
Kissing gourami get around a foot long and need a 48 inch tank. More than likely your fish were crowded and stressed, and they reacted to it by huddling in the corner; not the conditions you want to keep any fish in. There was aggression in that tank. You just never saw it. Those fish should not have been put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I was in a local petshop yesterday. The guy who runs it is actually pretty good, by petshop standards. When he saw a sick goldfish in the (typically) overcrowded tank, he scooped the little guy out and isolated him in the plant tank, which is twice the size and has no other fish (the other guys were attacking him).
However, he also had a tank with coral blue dwarf gouramis, male swordtails and serpae tetras -all quite aggressive fish. The serpaes were mostly just bothering each other, the stupid little nippers (heaps of them had nipped fins), but the swords had basically declared war on the gouramis. Two were hiding behind the filter, one was fighting back and one had a wound on his side, most of his tail missing and smaller wounds around his head. I really want to go back and get him out of that tank, since he clearly can't fend for himself in there. The guy who runs the shop doesn't have any other isolation tanks.

Here's my dilemma: I don't really have anywhere to put him. I have my overcrowded sorority (moving to the 23 gallon in a few weeks where I won't be overstocked anymore), but he would fight with the girls, I presume, gouramis and bettas not being famous for getting on. I have my 3 gallon CRS tank, but that's too small and it's only 20 degrees celcius. I have my 5 gallon, but that's Odysseus's.
I also have an empty 5 gallon hex. It is too small for him, and I don't have permission to set it up. It does have a heater and a filter (I can do an instant cycle with borrowed media) but I'm not sure I have enough powerpoints to run it.

I suppose the logical conclusion is that I can't save him, but I hate having it within my power (I could do it if I just had permission!) and not being able to save him. :(
Maybe if he's still there/alive when I get the 23 gallon I'll consider it, although I'm supposed to be shutting down my 5 gallon when that happens.
Le sigh :(
You would be risking a lot putting a male gourami in with female betta. I don't think it's a good idea. He could stay in a 5 gal temporarily, but for his best long-term happiness he really should be in a 10 gal or larger. Do you have any friends with a community tank that would be willing and able to take him?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I don't know. I know some people, but either they are like me and don't have the room, or tend to be a bit snobby about their fish (in the best way possible, wanting to breed pure and all that). I don't know if people would take rescues.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Is there a local aquarium club you could contact? Maybe someone there has the space and the desire to keep your little guy. I know I would, but I'm in the US. Shipping him here would be expensive and dangerous for the little guy.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #6 
jamiend97

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Kissing gourami get around a foot long and need a 48 inch tank. More than likely your fish were crowded and stressed, and they reacted to it by huddling in the corner; not the conditions you want to keep any fish in. There was aggression in that tank. You just never saw it. Those fish should not have been put together.

You would be risking a lot putting a male gourami in with female betta. I don't think it's a good idea. He could stay in a 5 gal temporarily, but for his best long-term happiness he really should be in a 10 gal or larger. Do you have any friends with a community tank that would be willing and able to take him?
It was my old 150g. It was planted nicely, it had 2 gouramis a couple female bettas, pleco, a couple snails, and guppies.
They really all got along. The gouramis were always active, along with all my other fish.
jamiend97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I'm actually a committee member on the local aquarium club - that's the only reason I know more than one fish keeper in the city. :p I know a lady who could rehome him once he was healthy again, but I'd have to get him healthy and I just don't have the permission to set up a new tank. Unless I could get a breeder box in my sorority - I've seen them up to 5 litres (which still isn't big, but at least there are no swordtails in it).
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Awesome! I wish there was an aquarium club in my area.

If he doesn't have any disease you could put him in a breeder box. I've done that with my bettas when I was moving their tanks around. Ideally the mesh breeder boxes are better. And you're right, the bigger the better.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #9 
jfw

do you have to have permission because you are in an apartment or something?
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Nope, it's because I live with my parents. :p Their house, so quite understandably, their rules on tanks.

I am really tempted to get him on the way back from uni now. I have a small breeder box that he could go in very temporarily until I get a bigger one....hmm.