Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
amneris3

Can I add a betta to my community?

Hi, I need some help. I want to add a betta to my community tank. It's a 30 gallon with a driftwood cave and some fake plants. I currently have 2 platies, 2 mollies and some glofish danios. The platies and mollies are fully grown, 2.5-3" and the glofish are pretty small yet, but should reach about 2-2.5". So...
1) Do I have enough room for a betta?
2) Will a betta be compatible with the bright colored glofish?
3) Should I try a male or female betta?
4) If I can add a female, would just one be okay?
5) Is there a way to tell at the pet store how aggressive a betta is?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
amneris3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'd say no for the reason that mollies are a brackish fish. That means they need aquarium salt in their tank. :[
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #3 
amneris3

My mollies were tank bred in freshwater, so I never thought of putting them in brackish water.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The mollies are fine in fresh water.. just that even being bred in it shortens their life spans by a bit.
1) Do I have enough room for a betta? From what I can tell you, it depends on your filter, mollies produce a lot of ammonia, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that with a strong filter and lot's of hiding places a betta could be okay.
2) Will a betta be compatible with the bright colored glofish? As long as there's enough room betta and glofish are fine together, however you need at least 4/5 to keep them happy and not picking on the betta.
3) Should I try a male or female betta? I'd personally try a female, they can swim and hide better, but a male could also work. But you MUST be prepared to go out and buy the betta it's own suitable seperate home if you fish are bullying him.
4) If I can add a female, would just one be okay? Yes, my female betta lives by herself and is quite happy. There are some females that hate living in groups, and groups can be hard to set up, so one female is fine.
5) Is there a way to tell at the pet store how aggressive a betta is? No, even a calm looking betta could just be either sick or kinda have "given up on life" so to speak, most have huge personality changes in a tank, so you never know.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I just want to add to what Olympia has said, all of which is correct. I would add another molly and another platy, because they are less likely to bother other fish in groups of 3. Similarly, I would make sure you have a bare minimum of 6 glofish - the more you have, the less likely they are to nip or harass a betta.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
amneris3

Thanks for the advice Olympia and Bombalurina! I have four glofish, so I think I will add a couple more, another platy and Molly and a female betta! I have an empty 1 gallon tank I will set up for emergency use. I just love bettafish. I had a male when I was in college and I am excited to try integrating a female in my tank. Thanks so much!

Tags
betta comaptibility