Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #51 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Yay for all of us having success.

BL2033 - thats what I thought. I was looking at my MG CT girl and realized she is still quite small. When I bought her she was less than an inch and mislabled at a veil. Petco loves to mislabel and get tiny girls in.

Yep my pair are both HMPK and I think both are dragon too.

Grats GT on spawn btw
I noticed that with ct females, they tend to be small in size and have larger stomachs than the average bettas. Also i would say to feed her a bit more than usual and then transfer her to a bigger tank. She sounds like a fry if I'm not mistaken.

Also GT congrats. Did they spawn today as well?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #52 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well when I said geno trait, I mean like a gene that would always be present in your own line. Like for example, my friend used to breed platties or mollies and she eventually added a red male or female to get a red spot on the caudal, all of her fish had this red spot on the caudal and she could tell it was from her stock whenever they were mixed with some pet store males or females.

I hope you know what I mean.
Fixing a certain trade mark to your line .... I don't know about this one. I have never done this. As far as I know bettas cannot pass on marks indefinitely. These markings will eventually disappear or will not show in every single individual.

Maybe it is possible when using certain traits. Such as buterfly - making butterfly with milk white markings instead of clear (this is now very rare in my country). Or Dalmation - making every individual show some dalmation spots. But dalmation cannot be used as a trade mark since the pattern is unpredictable and many have dalmation in their line. .... who knows, maybe new "trade marking" mutations will one day appear.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #53 
Amphibianite

BL yeah I placed her about 3 months max, she was tiny, so is the other CT girl I got same day. So I do feed them both well, and both are in nice tanks. I will be feeding her more now.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #54 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
BL yeah I placed her about 3 months max, she was tiny, so is the other CT girl I got same day. So I do feed them both well, and both are in nice tanks. I will be feeding her more now.
All I would advise is to feed well and a bigger tank environment which you said you are providing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #55 
Amphibianite

Well all my bettas are getting a mix of frozen bloodworms, and pellets, some including the two little girls get live black worms, all are in a min of a 1 gal do to space(which is about to expand and money(atm), all get frequent water changes.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #56 
bettalover2033

I also have this happening as well.i have a gift card so I am trying to get some nice tanks for them mostly dividers since I have plenty bettas and some betta containers that you stick in the tank with little dividers that come with it. They work really good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #57 
Myates

Glad you got a spawn :D

Another trick to use in the future, cover the sides of the tank.. or use a 5+ gallon bucket with a low water level. Sometimes it's easier to get them to breed when there are no distractions outside of the tank, they focus just on each other. Also, the plastic buckets holds the warmth in much better then glass tanks.. can always transfer the fry to the tank later on, but if you are having troubles getting them to mate next time, I would cover up the sides or use a bucket.
Some just don't like to be watched when trying to be in the mood ;)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote