Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #31 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
@1077: Please don't take this to offense but that isn't very logical. I mean of course no one is going to sit there and keep shaking a food container for 3 minutes because that would definitely be a bad thing. If you give your fish a pinch or food, and they can't consume it all in 3 minutes to 4 minutes maximum, you are over feeding.

For example, if you have an average sized betta and you feed him 4 pellets one day and he finished three in 3 minutes or just leaves the last one, then you feed him 3 next time and he eats them all in 3 or less minutes (which is how it usually is because bettas don't take very long to eat their pellets).

Another example would be goldfish. I you have let's say a 4-5 inch goldfish and you feed him just a thick pinch of flakes and he is still having food or eating the food past 4-5 minutes then you are over feeding. If you were to count to 180, then obviously you will have much more trouble with excess food waste and other problems with filtering and the fish's health all together. It would not be very smart to keep pouring fish flakes into the tank for 180 seconds. It would be more logical just to put in a pinch when you feed your fish, depending on the fish and the fish food. You see goldfish's stomachs are like a bottomless pit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with you.(believe we are saying same thing)
But some folks, think that fish food instructions mean you should feed enough food for fish to feed for three to five minutes, rather than offer tiny amounts as mentioned, for the three to five minutes.
You can't really say no one would, cause many unfortunately do.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #32 
bettalover2033

I agree with that statement as well. Though I would say (jokingly) that goldfish are an accepting since they are literally always hungry. They eat 5 times their size a week or more and they are always hungry, or willing to eat!
Posted via Mobile Device
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #33 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I agree with that statement as well. Though I would say (jokingly) that goldfish are an accepting since they are literally always hungry. They eat 5 times their size a week or more and they are always hungry, or willing to eat!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes,,and they produce five times the amount of waste that other fishes produce.
Large tank's and lot's of filtration to keep these fish happy/healthy.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #34 
bettalover2033

Yes very true! My grandmonther had a koi (they are not goldfish) that were 5 feet long in her pond and 10-15 inch goldfish in her bigger inside tank. So I guess you can say we got the fish inheritance from her.

Through with goldfish, they grow with as much as you feed them and it's like they grow an inch a week if you feed tem enough and have a big tank that won't stunt their growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #35 
fish monger

I'm confused. Is feeding your fish the amount they can consume in a few minutes, 2-3 times a day, really overfeeding ? It's not like you're shoving it down their throats for 3 minutes at a time.

Last edited by fish monger; 02-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #36 
bettalover2033

What you should do is feed your fish as much as they can eat in a matter of 3 minutes since that would be best for the fish, though this rule can vary with Different species of fish since they all grow to different sizes, shapes, ect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #37 

Can feed fishes of all kinds once a day,,or every other day, and no harm will come.
Been doin it for a long time, and nobody I or you know, ever lost fish by doing likewise.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #38 
Edifiler

To all who are interested and those who have helped me, one of my guppy has given birth ( not sure about the other ). But, I was at my classes at the time and am not sure what the total amount is. I came home to feed my guppies and out of the corner of my eye, saw this tiny fry poking its head out before hiding again. I tried my best to find him. After 5 minutes of searching, I located him and tried to remove him but to avail. Worst of all, I believe he is the only remaining survivor, and therefore have named him Larry, for Lonesome Larry. I have my fingers crossed and pray that he can survive past the "edible" stage. Thanks for all the help, but I can only wait until what fate has decided for him :X
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #39 
bettalover2033

Wow. Congrats on your new guppy fry! He sounds so cute. Be sure to post pictures. I would love to see him or her. Well I have eggs in my bubble nest from my spawning so I guess we both are excited now:)

KEEP us updated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #40 
Edifiler

Haha i'll try my best to get some pictures, atm he or she is only around 7mm, and he / she really knows how to hide. Do you happen to know what size is out of the danger zone?

Haha congrats on your spawn! Is this the red hmpk pair with the reluctant female?

Last edited by Edifiler; 02-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote