Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #31 
Curlyfatbottom

That fish have a nice color to it.
But lack of a clean edge.
With a few generation cross to hmdt will improve the edging of the fish.
Hmpk won't really improve him since hmpk tend to throw long anal fin
More unwanted fish
With a weak dorso fin
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #32 
Curlyfatbottom

Yes hmpk help with extend ray n fatting the tail base with a thicker body
Bottom line U must test and error to find the right combination for a hm
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #33 
MrVampire181

But in all honesty that fish should not be bred AT ALL. He is X-factor so breeding him will end in disaster.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #34 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post

Thanks DQ! It takes a lot of work to breed and when I posts like I have been seeing (even worse on youtube) it breaks my heart because no one is telling these new breeders what they are doing wrong or what they have not been lectured on. I cannot stress the importance of taking the long route with breeding... that means proper fish, equipment, and food. There is more success and it's worth it.
That is the BIGGEST problem I have to address and explain a bit more into dept. First I want to say that OP I mean not to be rude and these implications are not directed strait to you, but to new breeders in general.

On this forum I have noticed a lot of things. In the beginning of my presence here, I noticed that people were doing the right thing by lecturing new breeders that came to the forum only searching for answers to questions that any real breeder would get in a heartbeat. We told them to research and little questions were okay since they weren't something drastic like "How do I know when the female has had enough" (Mind you that I HAVE heard all the questions on this forum before)

Another absolutely insane question that really got to me was " How can I tell when the fish are done having sex?" This question really made me angry. I left it alone because I knew that it would have been inappropriate to reply with something that was rude.

That question is not only inappropriate, but it is very ignorant since any person really interested in fish would know they don't have "sex", and very disrespectful to the species in general. That is where IMO it was crossing the line and very inappropriate considering we have younger kids on this forum.

All I am trying to point out is that before it was okay to lecture a person about breeding, but later it was considered "Bashing" and mean to criticize in what I thought was a civilized way. Of course things have changed, but i dont think just handing the information to new breeders that join the forum for answers is okay. Its rude and sad for the fry.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #35 
BeautifulBetta

^+1.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #36 
Curlyfatbottom

Yes n no.
It depend on How u manage your line.
How u can balance it out.
If the fish look to much a freak use a correct fish to breed with it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #37 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
That is the BIGGEST problem I have to address and explain a bit more into dept. First I want to say that OP I mean not to be rude and these implications are not directed strait to you, but to new breeders in general.

On this forum I have noticed a lot of things. In the beginning of my presence here, I noticed that people were doing the right thing by lecturing new breeders that came to the forum only searching for answers to questions that any real breeder would get in a heartbeat. We told them to research and little questions were okay since they weren't something drastic like "How do I know when the female has had enough" (Mind you that I HAVE heard all the questions on this forum before)

Another absolutely insane question that really got to me was " How can I tell when the fish are done having sex?" This question really made me angry. I left it alone because I knew that it would have been inappropriate to reply with something that was rude.

That question is not only inappropriate, but it is very ignorant since any person really interested in fish would know they don't have "sex", and very disrespectful to the species in general. That is where IMO it was crossing the line and very inappropriate considering we have younger kids on this forum.

All I am trying to point out is that before it was okay to lecture a person about breeding, but later it was considered "Bashing" and mean to criticize in what I thought was a civilized way. Of course things have changed, but i dont think just handing the information to new breeders that join the forum for answers is okay. Its rude and sad for the fry.
This is a problem. Again not directed at OP (again very sorry at the situation) but it's getting worse and worse.

Instead of, "What is your tank set up like?" "Do you have jars and a grow out tank?" "Do you have the proper food?" I see "THEY'LL MAKE PRETTY BABIES GOOD LUCK!!". No offense all bettas are beautiful in my eyes but telling someone to go ahead and breed a veil tail for "pretty babies" isn't okay. Breeding is serious and challenging. It's worse when people who have had bettas for less than a year jump into breeding. It takes time and care to read betta body language and learn about the species. Also kids are breeding. Now I was 11 or 12 for my first spawn but ask anyone who remembers when I first joined they thought I was like 30. It requires being mature. Now I'm lucky my parents help (my dad keeps tetras and his cousin used to breed angelfish). But kids who want to breed need to learn how to control their want to breed and think ahead. I am cleaning out my fish room and I could buy and breed a pair whenever I want but I won't because I want to prepare to get back into raising fry and caring for adults. We need to promote research and maturity not "pretty babies".

Again OP, what's done is done. Let's try and get the little tike to grow :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #38 
Amphibianite

I am not weighing in on my thoughts and beliefs which mirror pretty much everything being said. I am just a new breeder who is in the process of raising his first spawn. But as such I have to say it is thanks to this forum at people like you all that I was prepared and took the time to make sure I had everything I needed to breed and raise fry.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #39 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
This is a problem. Again not directed at OP (again very sorry at the situation) but it's getting worse and worse.

Instead of, "What is your tank set up like?" "Do you have jars and a grow out tank?" "Do you have the proper food?" I see "THEY'LL MAKE PRETTY BABIES GOOD LUCK!!". No offense all bettas are beautiful in my eyes but telling someone to go ahead and breed a veil tail for "pretty babies" isn't okay. Breeding is serious and challenging. It's worse when people who have had bettas for less than a year jump into breeding. It takes time and care to read betta body language and learn about the species. Also kids are breeding. Now I was 11 or 12 for my first spawn but ask anyone who remembers when I first joined they thought I was like 30. It requires being mature. Now I'm lucky my parents help (my dad keeps tetras and his cousin used to breed angelfish). But kids who want to breed need to learn how to control their want to breed and think ahead. I am cleaning out my fish room and I could buy and breed a pair whenever I want but I won't because I want to prepare to get back into raising fry and caring for adults. We need to promote research and maturity not "pretty babies".

Again OP, what's done is done. Let's try and get the little tike to grow :)
Very well said. Lately what has been going on has been "what do you think of my pair" then "their fry are going to be great" and no real lesson has been learned. Something that does happen often is that when new breeders are given information and it wasn't sugar coded enough they think it is rude and do what they please anyway. There is no way that someone is going to force you to do anything.

What many members do on here is help by ONLY thinking of the fish and that is understandable, but since sometimes that can be very blunt and sound rude or be interpreted as rude, I try to keep in mind the situation and how I would have like to be told. Yes sometimes I make it as a joke insinuating that it's what needs to be done, but it can get tiresome when you are constantly trying to be sure that you are not coming off as rude. Unlike many I want to be known for an information giver AND a kind person as well. I usually give my experience and personal opinion mostly on the the fish's overall health and better life depending on the situation. If I know that something that got me angry, then I won't reply because it would turn into a conflict that is just not needed and is pretty childish. I can be sarcastic and sometimes it does come out because of how it makes me think of the person, but it is not needed and very immature. I do not like to think of anyone as a higher or lower level as myself. It's to high school. Anyway, If I find out that I am wrong about something, I will admit to it and apologize for the wrong information. Most of the time I would like a source, but not necessary. I make sure that I

What I'm saying is that I agree and maturity levels do play a big role when breeding bettas. I can admit that I thought MrV was in his 20s or older when I first joined this forum LOL.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #40 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
I am not weighing in on my thoughts and beliefs which mirror pretty much everything being said. I am just a new breeder who is in the process of raising his first spawn. But as such I have to say it is thanks to this forum at people like you all that I was prepared and took the time to make sure I had everything I needed to breed and raise fry.
You see. That is the true "instinct" of a breeder. Though Amphibianite, not many people have as much self control as you do. To be honest I didn't, but I had to pay the price. Your spawn was very successful and you took all the correct precautions to succeed in an embrace. Nothing beats a first spawn done correctly. Especially seeing the embrace in person.

Great job and good luck!